Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,177   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

PMK questions: Storage and Roll film Development; Pyro:Why?

Storage: I bought some Photographers Formulary PMK a 'couple' of years back and never moved it to glass bottles. Has anyone had any problems using developer that was never opened and 'stored' in the original plastic bottles?

Developing Roll Film: According to the directions I need 500 ml per roll of 36 exposure 35mm film.This means I can't process the usual 5 rolls of 35 mm in my Paterson 1500 ml, rather, only 3. OK, I can live with that but am wondering of anyone has tried to process 5 rolls in 1500ml of working solution?

Developing 120: Anyone know the # of sq. in. in a roll of 120?

Prewash/Presoak: Recommended?

I'm going to start with some less precious film but any hints, recommendations, warnings, etc would be appreciated.

Also interested in hearing answers to "Pyro: WHY?"

Thanks

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    35mm/36 exp is the same area as 120, 4 sheets of 4x5, approx 2 sheets of 5x7, or one sheet of 8x10 (they all fit in the same size file page), and 220 is twice that.

Presoak is a good idea to prevent uneven staining.

You might be able to get 5 rolls at normal contrast or minus development in 1500ml, but why take a chance with that much film? PMK is cheap. You could test one roll and see how it works.

General suggestions--you can skip the afterbath, particularly if you use an alkaline fixer, which is recommended. Gordon Hutchings himself no longer recommends putting the film back into the spent developer after fixing.

Pyro: why?--I like the highlight details and sharp look. I usually use ABC for larger negs and PMK for smaller ones. PMK seems to have a better grain-masking effect, but a higher level of "background" stain.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The PMK is most likely fine. It seems to last forever, just do a snip test to be sure.

I presoak. Thats what dad told me to do.

I wouldn't recommend it for 35mm, YMMV, esp w your wonderful printing style.

A roll of 120 and a 36 exp roll of 35mm are near the same #sq i.

As David said, skip the after bath, it does nothing but add uniform base fog.

I always use an alkaline fixer, such as TF4.

In larger sizes PMK masks grain, extends the highlight ability of the negative and with some experimenting you can arrive at a regimen that provides densities that print equally well with UV processes as they do with silver paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mix my own PMK pyro and store both solution A and B in plastic bottles, no problems so far.

I use presoak to help avoid uneven staining/development and possible formation of air bubbles.

Why pyro, mainly for its excellent speration in the high values and masking of grain.

Again I no longer use the practice of an after bath.

Get a copy of Gordon Hutchings' "Book of Pyro". It will be more than worth the money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    S

Thanks

Victor
    In my article at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html I try to answer this question.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PMK in glass bottles keeps at least 8 years (that's how old my first batch was when I finally used it up).

I do recommend that you store it in glass, but I haven't done any testing to see if it matters. The stock solutions are very stable and I doubt the type of storage vessel terribly matters within reason.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    In my article at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html I try to answer this question.

Sandy King
    Great article, Sandy. I have read it before, but it was a pleasant revisit. I would urge anybody using or thinking of using pyro to read it.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    All:Thanks for all of your help (and the kind words, J) ; it's all great and sought after advice.
    -Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    WHY NOT?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin