Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,980   Online: 952

Shooter
    Medium Format

Microdol-X; T-Max; Sheet Film; Rotary Tube Processing

Kodak publications (F-4016, F-32) recommend development times for T-Max 100 and 400 in Microdol-X (undiluted and diluted 1:3) for small tank processing only. No recommended times are provided for sheet film and rotary tube processing for the T-Max films using Microdol-X. Is there a problem with developing TMX and TMY sheet film in Microdol-X? Is there a problem with developing TMX and TMY using a rotary processor?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    While I cannot comment on this particular film/developer combination, I'm a recent convert to and prosetylizer for rotary tube development. When I switched, I did some rudimentary experimentation and found that my development improved markedly with tube over tray, and that my development time decreased by 10%. Using this rule my negatives, when checked on the Noritsu densitometer, have much better contrast and are easier to print.
    For instance, using Efke PL100 in the tray, I used 8'30" were now I use 7'45" for N and 9'15" for N+1.
    I doubt that you can jump right to tube development of crucial negatives without interevening testing, but I think the 10% rule will produce a good test without exhaustive experimentation.
    I know of no contraindication to rotary processing of TMX/TMY, except that very short development times are harder to control in the tubes.
    Good luck

Images
    Good Afternoon, Lensmagic,

I share Deckeled Edge's lack of information about T-Max Film in Microdol-X, since I never use that combination. Kodak's infomation sheets, however, ordinarily give Continuous Agitation processing times; if you have that information, it should be a very good starting point. Rotary processing of the T-Max films works extremely well with both T-Max developer and with HC-110, among others. There shouldn't be any special problem with Microdol-X, although the fine-grain results usually touted for that developer aren't really necessary with T-grain films. As Deckeled Edge suggests, a few tests would be advisable.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to second the recommendation for about a 10% decrease in development time in rotary tubes. I develop Tmax films using D76H straight or 1+1 in a Jobo ATL-1500 with spectacular results.

I can't speak to Microdol specifically, but agree that it may not be the optimum developer for Tmax films. I believe Kodak recommends Xtol or D76 for T-grain films; John Sexton uses D76, as I recall, at 1+1.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, I need to correct the text of my posting, which started this thread. The last sentence should read: Is there a problem with developing TMX and TMY in Microdol-X using a rotary processor?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think there would be a "problem" with Microdol-X developer for TMX and TMY in a rotary tube, but I'd wonder why. There's not much grain to soften, grain is pretty irrelevant in 4x5, you'll just lose acutance and film speed. The only reason to do it would be for a particular HD curve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would consider using it diluted 1:3 to decrease the effect of the silver solvent and improve sharpness.

Vaughn

PS...diluting it would also increase the development time -- helping to get consistant results.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Images
    Good Evening,

Six responses are indicated for the original post in this thread. One of them is mine, posted earlier today. Can one of the moderators explain why only one response is currently showing up on my screen?

Konical

Images
    OK--forget it. As soon as I sent the previous message, everything popped up as expected. Curious!

Konical

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin