Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 883

Images
    Sometimes I like to experiment. Saturday I wanted to test a russian rangefinder (please do not laugh) I had just cleaned/tuned and, at evening, went to a nightime flea market near Rome. I took a roll of HP5 and pushed it at 1600.

Sunday I discovered that I had only some ilfosol left in my cupboard, but even knowing it is not exactly the best for pushed film, I proceded anyway. Yesterday it was so hot in Rome that tap water came out at 30 Celsius and I decided to push the developing temperature to 24 C instead of my usual 20.

The developed film seems to have a bigger grain and the grey tones have a better balance than what I was expecting.

Does the developing temperature has influence on grain and tones rendition? hat are your experience?

Ciao,
    Marcello

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello! sometimes a sudden change in temperature when moving from one solution to another can cause a swelling or wrinkling of the emulsion called reticulation. It makes the grain clump together and appear larger.

I usually try to keep the temperatures as close as possible from the developer etc.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Increasing the temperature will increase the activity of the developer. It will also soften the emulsion a bit more. Both these factors will contribute to slightly coarser grain.

Pushing HP5 in Ilfosol S will also give coarse grain...

Most of my MF negatives are FP4, developed in Ilfosol S at 24°C. A beautiful combination...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin