Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,388   Online: 1083

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Oriental VC FB DW glossy (cool tone)

Would appreciate the thoughts of any that use this paper, especially it's response to selenium toning.

Thanks
    Chuck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I asked this question while contemplating buying some because Iford's MGIV FB (that I usually buy) is more expensive at $82/100 versus Oriental's $68/100. I find it hard to believe that no one ever used this paper with selenium to provide feedback, but anything is possible I guess.

I've baught some and used it this weekend and my own feedback is very good. It tones with selenium to my liking, about the same as MGIV. At $14 difference per box, I believe I can make a switch without any real difference that I can discern.

FWIW
    Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got some and it responded nicely to selenium.....a bit more than Ilford. It also takes thocarbimide toning nicely. I just did a few selenium/thiocarbimide split tone prints and they look might nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    I asked this question while contemplating buying some because Iford's MGIV FB (that I usually buy) is more expensive at $82/100 versus Oriental's $68/100. I find it hard to believe that no one ever used this paper with selenium to provide feedback, but anything is possible I guess.

I've baught some and used it this weekend and my own feedback is very good. It tones with selenium to my liking, about the same as MGIV. At $14 difference per box, I believe I can make a switch without any real difference that I can discern.

FWIW
    Chuck
    Is there such a thing called a "cool tone" version of Oriental paper today? Or if you are talking about the Oriental VC FB-II neutral tone paper, I have some experience and I call tell you what I think compared to the Ilford MG FB neutral tone paper. I think the VC FBII is just colder and tones colder also. depending on how much gray you have in your prints, sometimes the difference is not as obvious, but it's still there.

But my concern is the quality of the paper coating. Ilford is nice and smooth, but Oriental is not. Oriental's paper coating is a bit fragile and easier to chip off.
    Last edited by firecracker; 03-31-2008 at 03:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Is there such a thing called a "cool tone" version of Oriental paper today? Or if you are talking about the Oriental VC FB-II neutral tone paper, I have some experience and I call tell you what I think compared to the Ilford MG FB neutral tone paper. I think the VC FBII is just colder and tones colder also. depending on how much gray you have in your prints, sometimes the difference is not as obvious, but it's still there.

But my concern is the quality of the paper coating. Ilford is nice and smooth, but Oriental is not. Oriental's paper coating is a bit fragile and easier to chip off.
    It is advertised as "cold tone" on B&H's website and in a Freestyle catalog that I have and it is the VC-FB II paper.

But you know, you are certainly right about the differences in smoothness of the two papers---I did not notice that last night, but I had not really compared the two surfaces side by side until I read your post.

Hmmm, could be a factor to consider because I do like the Ilford surface better.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Chuck

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin