Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,597   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If anyone cares---here is a source for cheap gloves. http://www.fireauthority.com/categor...ority&cat=4352

I work for a Fire Dept and we get supplies from them. A lot cheaper than the local store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    No dimpled bottom of the tray either, as only the backside of the film touches the bottom.
    Does that mean the tray isn't dimpled or that it is dimpled but the emulsion doesn't touch the dimples?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Does that mean the tray isn't dimpled or that it is dimpled but the emulsion doesn't touch the dimples?
    It means both, really: neither is the bottom dimpled, nor does the emulsion touch it (film is in tray emulsion upward)

I am at the moment not in a hurry to develop the rest of my negs, as the spoiling of the one I scanned in quite frustrated me. I have, however, touched with a wet, gloved hand a clear neg, and the marks of the gloved fingers left recognizably traces with the same pattern. I do think. simply because I have been using this method for a long time without such problems and this was the only change I introduced, that the distilled water made the patches appear. I am currently thinking of leaving the gloves away and just let slip the film into the developer without touching the fluid, and wear gloves only when I take out the film. This should work well if I don't miss the tray in the dark, what I normally don't do.
    Thank you all for the answers, anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like someone said, powered gloves will get some on the outside of them, and this will cause your problem. Had it happen on prints too, especially lith. I always swish my gloved hand in the chemical before I touch the film or print with it.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    I always swish my gloved hand in the chemical before I touch the film or print with it.
    Yes, this might help. But remember, I wore the gloves already when I shuffled the film in the water (I water different sheets in one tray, but develop them separately), and transferred the film into the developer with wet, well-watered gloves.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Unload all of your film into an empty film box so you can get it all going at once. I tray develop too and I've found this to help instead of going from the film holder to the water. Takes up less space too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At first glance, it looks like 5 finger prints. You can even see the finger nails as arcs at the top. But then stop a minute.... When you push on something with your hand, the nail of the thumb is always inverted. Try it and see. So this looks like 4 fingers, but the thumb nail arc is upside down from where it should be. I've seen this before, but always with the 5th finger, the thumb, being inverted.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My theory: I think maybe the tap water was hardening the emulsion somehow (maybe?) or something to that extent. They're too regular to be chemical stains. I think that if the emulsion was softened unusually so that you could have damaged it by touching it.

Did you examine the marks up close? That way you could see if it was a depression or movement in the emulsion (which would leave it to be caused only by the gloves which we might be able to backtrace to distilled water via softer emulsion) or a residue (which should wash off and cause by powder or drying chemicals).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The observation about the inverted thumb is certainly correct, but I am now quite certain these are prints from my gloved hand.
    About the nature of the marks: they are basically reduced density or reduced stain in the emulsion - and while writing this, I just got the idea I should check the ph-value of the outside of my gloves, maybe this is what creates the problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    Yes, this might help. But remember, I wore the gloves already when I shuffled the film in the water (I water different sheets in one tray, but develop them separately), and transferred the film into the developer with wet, well-watered gloves.
    I see. I'd think the chemicals would be more aggressive with any power than water would.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin