Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,496   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

How can I fix Efke film curl?

I've been doing some initial tests with Efke films, particularly the IR 820. When the film dries it is very curly. I've even begun to hang it but two clips at the top and two at the bottom and it doesn't help. It's just annoying. Would putting weight on it for a few days help, like with FB prints? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    try another film?

just kidding....how about a heavy book on top of the neg sheet?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't say if it is roll film or not. If so, reverse rolling for a couple of days might help. Be careful not to scratch it, though.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it curls lengthwise, you might consider rolling it into the opposite direction and placing it inside a tube, such as that of a paper towel roll. I sometimes do that to Fomapan film in 120, as it tends to curl after being dried on-reel in my Senrac dryer.

aparat

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I'm using 120 film. That makes sense to curl it the opposite direction. I'll try that. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had similar problems recently with some Rollei Retro 400 MF film.

I've solved the problem by inserting the cut film strips into acetate negative holders and rolling them into a tube (in the opposite direction), leaving them rolled for about 24 hours (secured by rubber bands).

After 24 hours, the film strips are flat enough for scanning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try loading them on the developing spiral against the curl.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never had this problem. I don't use a dryer and let them dry all night. 120 and 135 flat.
    G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the curl developing in a length of film can be very sensitive to the temperature/humidity of the environment in which the film dries (as that is going to affect the state of the gelatin coating on the emulsion side of the film). I do use a drying cabinet, and have the temperature setting just right for 35mm/120 roll film, which dry nice and flat. However, if I raise the drying temperature by more than 3 to 4 degrees, the film curls into the emulsion side; if I lower the temperature by more than 3 or 4 degrees, the film will curl into the base side!

It might be worth drying your film in the bathroom, particularly if you can effect some control over the temperature and humidity. Either by running a hot shower for several minutes before you hang your film, or by turning up a radiator, or other heater to adjust the temperature before hanging the film to dry. This is definitely something that will require some experimentation.
    Last edited by snallan; 03-26-2008 at 08:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Lern two spel!!!
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do a search, you will find that these problems are about 99.9999999999999% of the time with 3rd tier films. You get what you pay for. Only the big three take measures to completely prevent this problem.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin