Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,784   Online: 730

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neopan 400

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Neopan 400 is very much helped by smoother, lighter agitation to control the highlights. Its far from the ole' "Plus-X in D-76, shake Hard" style of processing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    (I happen to like the "Plus-X in D76, shake hard" by the way,its just Neo 400 handles differently)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any film will need tweaking to make it work for you. I suggest you stick with the film. Neopan 400 is my favorite film by far. I develop it in Xtol 1:1 and get beautiful tonality. But that's what I like and that is what works for me. If you find your shadows are too dark, back your EI off to EI250 or so. If you're worried about your highlights being to hot, then decrease your development time by 10-15%. I used to do all the boring testing and get serous about it. But in the end I found out that the only way I learned is to shoot lots of film, take lots of notes, and experiment. You'll find your magic bullet. Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second all the recommendations to control agitation. I love Neopan 400, and have used ATM49 with it in the past. I settled on mostly using Adox ADX [their two part liquid developer] with it, but have also had good results with Ilford DD-X and I'm experimenting with HC-110 with it now.

As with others, I think Neopan 400 [and Acros] are probably by favourite films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shall risk asking the obvious: have you tried printing on lower contrast paper?

It may well be the case that you have, but didn't like midtone separation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I primarily shoot Kodak Tri-X and recently made the switch from Ilford DD-X to Thornton's 2-Bath developer for all the reasons you describe.

The 2-bath is giving me the best negatives I've made, with great shadow and highlight detail. Because of the nature of a 2-bath developer it is very difficult or impossible to blow the highlights. First you place the film in bath A to absorb the developer, and then into bath B that triggers the actual development. The developer is first exhausted in the highlights and then the shadows. The results are really remarkable and the process is nearly fool proof. You don't agitate bath B and the process works reliably over a wide range of temperatures. I'm rating Tri-X at 400asa.

I may move to Divided D76 to gain an extra 1/2-1 stop speed, but frankly the Thornton formula is delivering excellent results already.

I still use DD-X for push processing and Delta3200, but am looking for a high speed 2-bath developer.

The Barry Thornton 2-Bath

Bath A
    Metol 6.25g
    Sodium Sulphite 85g
    1 liter water

Bath B
    Sodium Metaborate 12g
    1 liter water

Try about 4 minutes in each bath.
    Invert bath A gently once every minute.

Give bath B a gentle tap to dislodge air bubbles.
    Less agitation is more, with bath B

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love ATM49 with HP5/Tri-X but not so much with Neopan as I found the grain structure a bit weird (mushy). Totally agree with the comments about agitation -- blown highlights are a potential problem with Neopan so going gently on the agitation is essential.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tried neopan 400 once, several years ago, and my guestimation for development blew the highlights out so far that the nightmare of printing it has kept me from ever trying it again. Though with so many fans of it here, and since I have become a fan of Acros, I might give it another go but I am curious as there is no mention of the grain relative to other 400 speed films. How grainy is the Neopan compared to Tri-x, or HP5 or Tmax 400? Developed in Rodinal will it become total grit? I am concerned with the 120 and 4x5.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I tried neopan 400 once, several years ago, and my guestimation for development blew the highlights out so far that the nightmare of printing it has kept me from ever trying it again. Though with so many fans of it here, and since I have become a fan of Acros, I might give it another go but I am curious as there is no mention of the grain relative to other 400 speed films. How grainy is the Neopan compared to Tri-x, or HP5 or Tmax 400? Developed in Rodinal will it become total grit? I am concerned with the 120 and 4x5.
    Dennis
    I think Neuopan 400 is very similiar to old TriX or HP5, new TriX or Tmax 400 has finer gain, TMax 400 has a differnt curve, tones are differnt from Neuopan TriX or HP5. Last year I started to shoot Neopan 400 in 6X9 and 6X6 developed in Edwal 12 or Clayon F 76, I am not sure if Rodinal would be my first choice, may be Edwal FG7 or HC110.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had good results with Neopan 400/Xtol 1:1- exposed at box speed normally but going down to 250 if there is shadow detail I want. Agitation once every 2 minutes, not every minute. Film base also seems clearer than Kodak or Ilford which will affect printing or scanning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin