Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 814

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kentmere FG Glossy & Selenium Toner

Anyone experienced with the above combination that would like to share their procedure regarding dilution and time? I'm mainly interested in Dmax enhancement and not a color shift.

TIA,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Bruce. Since no one else has chimed in, I'll go ahead and share my usual procedure. Kentmere Fineprint glossy (VC, fiber) is my normal fiber paper, and I usually tone in KRST 1:20 for 3-4 minutes. When I first began doing this I carried out some tests which did show enhanced dmax but minimal color shift at those times. I haven't dug my notes out, but I do remember that there is a subtle shift to purple blacks if you go much beyond that. If I can find my test prints and notes I'll update this post. I do recall that all the changes I saw (both in dmax and color) were subtle and might not even be noticed without side-by-side comparison prints. Hope this helps!

--Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben, Thank you very much. This is just the answer I was looking for.

I would have started a test at 4 minutes and built up to 16. I would have missed just what I was looking for. You saved me a lot of time, paper and frustration. I'm working on a 16X20 for display and that is expensive paper to 'learn' on.

Thank you again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use this combination and go for the increased Dmax rather than eggplant/red color shift also.

I mix KRST with a regular strength Permawash solution. I usually tone in batches so use the toner on a one-shot basis. I dilute KRST 1:15 in the Permawash solution for about 2:45. I say "about" because I always test the first print in the batch by itself first to make sure that I am not overdoing it. I try to leave it in the toner just long enough that it does not flip to purple. If you increase the strength of the toner to say 1:10, that is much harder to control and the toning times become very short. If you increase dilution beyond 1:20, the times get longer and the effect seems more subtle.

My dilution of 1:15 is not really exact in that I add 125 ml of KRST to 2000 ml of Permawash to keep the measurements simple. So I am truly using about 1:17.
    Jerold Harter MD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin