Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,389   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Split toning question...

Hi,

I have been lurking to some beautiful split sepia-selenium prints last week at Bob's place. Last night I couldn't resist and did some prints on Varycon.
    This morning I did the toning and I'm quite puzzled by the strong reaction of the sepia toner. Way too much. And the split didn't really work after.
    Bleach was diluted 1 + 4 and the effect on the print was very light. But when I put it in the sepia toner it jumped like crazy in a matter of second.

So...
    Do I need to dilute even further the bleach ?
    Do I need to dilute the stinky one to make it weak ?
    Do I need to go back to Toronto ?...

Thanks !
    G.

Shooter
    Medium Format

split toning

i'm also a big fan of split toning.1+4 bleach is a bit strong,by diluting it is going to gives you more control.what i have found (been printing and toning for nearly 20yrs)yes it does give you more control but the weaker the bleach is,it not only bleach's the highlight but it also starting to go into the shadow's.i've got various strengh's of bleach in the darkroom ready to use down to 50/50%.moral of the story is as far as i'm concered is a stronger bleach gives me a better split tone.most times my print will only be in the bleach for a few seconds.what you have got to be remember is that the print will still bleach when you take it out of the bleach,have a tray or runing water ready and wash it as soon as you can

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I do put them in running water asap. Interesting that bleach...

Shooter
    Medium Format

split toning

:oWales to Los Angeles is a bit to far or i would have poped over for a toning sesion!!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Boy, I can heartily recommend Tim Rudmans book on toning...he really explains the hows and whys of toning as well as the techniques.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with option "C", come back to Toronto!

Buy the convict in the orange jumpsuit a few beers and observe (or just pm him and buy me the beers! )
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Du a gwyn, there are a couple of direct buses from Heathrow. I pick you up at the end of the line !
    Shmoo, I have the book lost somewhere in the house. Last time I opened it I was seasick, too colorful to my taste...! (No offense intended)
    Dinesh, I'm very tempted by option C ! Need to observe again, and few beers... Hmm why not ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Guillaume, what type of toner are you using? Is it sulphide, thiocarbamide, or polysulphide?

Generally the degree of toning when split toning will be controlled by the extent of bleaching, therefore more dilute bleaches will give more control. The thing to remember is that, although the bleaching starts in the highlights, by the time you see the action there, the bleach is already working on the finer grain in the midtones, so the toning action can go further than you might have expected (though this can be very dependent on the paper used). So, experiment, and keep good notes of what you are doing.

A twist to this is if you are using a polysulphide toner, they can tone more enthusiastically in dilute solutions, i.e. if you use a plain water bath to stop the toning. If you are using a polysulphide toner, a sodium sulphite stop bath (about 10%) will stop toning when required.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I'm using the sulphide one. They turned ok. I reprinted a couple plus some new and tomorrow morning will try with more diluted bleach and quick pull...
    Will see.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think that you may dissolve the stinky thing. I use to do mine in one bath by adding 1 tea spoon of sodium metaborate and 2ml of viradon in a 1+25 dilute selenium solution. It works slowly but give such nice tone.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin