Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,373   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D-72, or Dektol is the most common formula out there for home mixing and usable for papers.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    D-23 does indeed utilize only 7.5 grams metol
    and 100 grams sodium sulfite in a liter
    working solution.
    Dilute 1:7 for a slow working semi-compensating
    developer; 500ml, one 120 roll, 16 minutes. Works
    well for me. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it's also often used to bleach cyanotypes (before toning) formula vary..... 1g Na2CO3:100ml H2O often works well....
    Tom Persinger
    www.f295.org

The F295 Historic Process Workbook is now available on Amazon:
    The F295 Historic Process Workbook: 4 Processes, 6 Techniques, 14 Lessons

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    It can be used to make up most paper developers, some (few) film developers.
    Slightly less than half, 240 or 42% of the 567 film developers and 140 or about 55% of 241 paper developers I have listed have Sodium Carbonate in my very unscientific query. Those numbers are less accurate than they look since there are a few duplicate formulations I have not yet weeded out and a few just plain dubious formulas I have sifted off obscure corners of the net. But I suspect the general tendency for carbonate to be used is very closely mirrored by my numbers.

C
    Last edited by CBG; 03-28-2008 at 02:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling error

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    Do any of you know (dpurdy for example ) a formula that I could use as a paper developer using both sodium carbonate and sodium sulfite?
    Check in the APUG articles under paper developers.

www.apug.org/forums/forum222

Most of those listed show sulfite and carbonate.

C

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Also, a 2 % solution after print fixing and before washing of fiber-based papers speeds up your wash time.
    Sodium Sulfite is almost always used in home mixed wash aid. Within the several chemicals have been shown to have some effectiveness as wash aids, Sodium Sulfite is predominant. I have not seen carbonate listed among them, but can't rule it out since several alkalais are noted as having measurable benefits for washing.

One common formula for Wash Aid:

Stock Solution
    Water 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 100 gr
    Sodium Metabisulfite 25 gr
    Cold water to 1.0 L

Dilute 1+4 for use

I gather sulfite by itself is workable as a wash aid, but do not have solid confirmation of that. Maybe one of our resident chemist experts could weigh in?

C

Images
    PC-TEA has neither sulfite nor carbonate. The stock contains only Phenidone, ascorbic acid and triethanolamine. Add ony water to get the working solution.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    I have not seen carbonate listed among them, but can't rule it out since several alkalais are noted as having measurable benefits for washing.
    Agfa used to recommend a carbonate solution as a wash aid in the 70s. I think the idea was that increasing the pH of the emulsion would cuase the emulsion to swell, allowing the fixer to wash out faster.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Agfa used to recommend a carbonate solution as a wash aid in the 70s. I think the idea was that increasing the pH of the emulsion would cuase the emulsion to swell, allowing the fixer to wash out faster.
    Interesting. I found this comparison of chemicals used as wash aid:

Solution........................pH at M/250...............Effectiveness relative
    .................................................. ....................to pure water

Demineralized water...............~6............................ ...1.0
    Sodium chloride.....................6.1.................. ........ .....1.5
    Sodium bisulfite.....................4.1................. ..............2.8
    Sodium sulfate.......................6.4................. ..............14
    Sodium bicarbonate................8.4.................... ............49
    Sodium sulfite........................9.2................ ....... ........87
    Sodium hydroxide...................11.6.................. ............89

I don't remember where I dug it up, but your information seems like it fits.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The table above was recently posted here on APUG, and one attribute is to Grant Haist. That progression is correct, but the potential for damage to the film or paper goes up with pH above about 8, and therefore a hardener was used in these situations.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin