Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,863   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sodium Carbonate

Hi

I recently was given a large bucket of sodium carbonate. I know that this chemical is used in a photographic process, I just can't find out which one from the internet.
    Do any of you know?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Emile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it in developers - both film and paper. Agfa, IIRC, had some fixer formulas that used it.
    juan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is used in just about every developer as an accelarator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

paper developers for sure

sod carb is used in all sorts of b&w paper developers.

Dektol 1l stock solution - diluted between 1:1 and 1:4 - from memory - is about:

3g metol (or 0.3g phenidone) , 45g sodium sulfite, 12g hydroquinone, 70g Sodium Carbonate, and then 2 -4 g of Potassium Bromide.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky View Post
    It is used in just about every developer as an accelarator.
    Not quite, but very many. It is as noted before an "accelerator" for developers. In plain terms, an alkalai, since all common developers* will not function in a neutral or acidic environment.

* except amidol

Common accelerators are:
    Sodium Sulfite
    Borax
    Sodium Metaborate
    Sodium Carbonate
    Potassium Carbonate
    TSP Tri sodium Phosphate
    Sodium Hydroxide
    Potassium Hydroxide

Sodium Carbonate is used in something roughly like half of the several hundred developer formulas I have in my computer (don't ask, it's an obsession)

It's also used in some toners and a small miscelany of other photograpic processes,

Best,

C
    Last edited by CBG; 03-27-2008 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    Not quite, but very many. It is as noted before an "accelerator" for developers. In plain terms, an alkalai, since all common developers* will not function in a neutral or acidic environment.

* except amidol

Common accelerators are:
    Sodium Sulfite
    Borax
    Sodium Metaborate
    Sodium Carbonate
    Potassium Carbonate
    TSP Tri sodium Phosphate
    Sodium Hydroxide
    Potassium Hydroxide

Sodium Carbonate is used in something roughly like half of the several hundred developer formulas I have in my computer (don't ask, it's an obsession)

It's also used in some toners and a small miscelany of other photograpic processes,

Best,

C
    I don't think sodium sulfite is ever going to get your developer going. I know I mix my paper developer with a bunch of sodium sulfite and sodium carbonate and if I leave out the sodium carbonate the developer doesn't do a darn thing regardless of how much sodium sulfite it has in there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    Hi

I recently was given a large bucket of sodium carbonate. I know that this chemical is used in a photographic process, I just can't find out which one from the internet.
    Do any of you know?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Emile
    Ascertain in what form is the sodium carbonate (anhydrous? monohydrate? crystal?). It can be used to make up most paper developers, some (few) film developers.

Also, a 2 % solution after print fixing and before washing of fiber-based papers speeds up your wash time.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I don't think sodium sulfite is ever going to get your developer going. I know I mix my paper developer with a bunch of sodium sulfite and sodium carbonate and if I leave out the sodium carbonate the developer doesn't do a darn thing regardless of how much sodium sulfite it has in there.
    D-23 has only Metol, sodium sulfite and water and is nearly as active as D-76. However, we seldom develop paper in D-76 either.
    Gadget Gainer

Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, that makes sense actually. I also received a bucket of sodium sulfite, but I thought it was used only in fixers. I was slightly disappointed as I thought I had half of the ingredients. Excellent!
    Do any of you know (dpurdy for example ) a formula that I could use as a paper developer using both sodium carbonate and sodium sulfite?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just about all the paper formulas I know of use both. The one I use most for commercial work is 2.7 grams metol, 40 grams sod. sulfite, 10.6 grams Hydroquinone, 87 grams sod. carbonate, 0.8 grams Pot Bromide. Makes a liter of stock and dilutes 1:2 and lasts all day.

D-23 does indeed utilize only 7.5 grams metol and 100 grams sodium sulfite in a liter working solution. I have never tried it. But I will point out that the divided developers all store the developing agents in solution with sodium sulfite. The sodium carbonate is kept in solution by it's self. far as I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin