Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,863   Online: 1029
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Jaq
    Jaq is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    20

    Sodium Carbonate

    Hi

    I recently was given a large bucket of sodium carbonate. I know that this chemical is used in a photographic process, I just can't find out which one from the internet.
    Do any of you know?

    Thanks for the info.

    Regards,

    Emile

  2. #2
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,646
    Images
    4
    I use it in developers - both film and paper. Agfa, IIRC, had some fixer formulas that used it.
    juan

  3. #3
    Rlibersky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    777
    Images
    12
    It is used in just about every developer as an accelarator.

  4. #4
    Mike Wilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Misissauaga Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,939
    Images
    29

    paper developers for sure

    sod carb is used in all sorts of b&w paper developers.

    Dektol 1l stock solution - diluted between 1:1 and 1:4 - from memory - is about:

    3g metol (or 0.3g phenidone) , 45g sodium sulfite, 12g hydroquinone, 70g Sodium Carbonate, and then 2 -4 g of Potassium Bromide.

  5. #5
    CBG
    CBG is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky View Post
    It is used in just about every developer as an accelarator.
    Not quite, but very many. It is as noted before an "accelerator" for developers. In plain terms, an alkalai, since all common developers* will not function in a neutral or acidic environment.

    * except amidol

    Common accelerators are:
    Sodium Sulfite
    Borax
    Sodium Metaborate
    Sodium Carbonate
    Potassium Carbonate
    TSP Tri sodium Phosphate
    Sodium Hydroxide
    Potassium Hydroxide

    Sodium Carbonate is used in something roughly like half of the several hundred developer formulas I have in my computer (don't ask, it's an obsession)

    It's also used in some toners and a small miscelany of other photograpic processes,

    Best,

    C
    Last edited by CBG; 03-27-2008 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

  6. #6
    dpurdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland OR USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,066
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    Not quite, but very many. It is as noted before an "accelerator" for developers. In plain terms, an alkalai, since all common developers* will not function in a neutral or acidic environment.

    * except amidol

    Common accelerators are:
    Sodium Sulfite
    Borax
    Sodium Metaborate
    Sodium Carbonate
    Potassium Carbonate
    TSP Tri sodium Phosphate
    Sodium Hydroxide
    Potassium Hydroxide

    Sodium Carbonate is used in something roughly like half of the several hundred developer formulas I have in my computer (don't ask, it's an obsession)

    It's also used in some toners and a small miscelany of other photograpic processes,

    Best,

    C
    I don't think sodium sulfite is ever going to get your developer going. I know I mix my paper developer with a bunch of sodium sulfite and sodium carbonate and if I leave out the sodium carbonate the developer doesn't do a darn thing regardless of how much sodium sulfite it has in there.

  7. #7
    Anscojohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,727
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    Hi

    I recently was given a large bucket of sodium carbonate. I know that this chemical is used in a photographic process, I just can't find out which one from the internet.
    Do any of you know?

    Thanks for the info.

    Regards,

    Emile
    Ascertain in what form is the sodium carbonate (anhydrous? monohydrate? crystal?). It can be used to make up most paper developers, some (few) film developers.

    Also, a 2 % solution after print fixing and before washing of fiber-based papers speeds up your wash time.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

  8. #8
    gainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,726
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I don't think sodium sulfite is ever going to get your developer going. I know I mix my paper developer with a bunch of sodium sulfite and sodium carbonate and if I leave out the sodium carbonate the developer doesn't do a darn thing regardless of how much sodium sulfite it has in there.
    D-23 has only Metol, sodium sulfite and water and is nearly as active as D-76. However, we seldom develop paper in D-76 either.
    Gadget Gainer

  9. #9
    Jaq
    Jaq is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    20
    OK, that makes sense actually. I also received a bucket of sodium sulfite, but I thought it was used only in fixers. I was slightly disappointed as I thought I had half of the ingredients. Excellent!
    Do any of you know (dpurdy for example ) a formula that I could use as a paper developer using both sodium carbonate and sodium sulfite?

  10. #10
    dpurdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland OR USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,066
    Images
    38
    Just about all the paper formulas I know of use both. The one I use most for commercial work is 2.7 grams metol, 40 grams sod. sulfite, 10.6 grams Hydroquinone, 87 grams sod. carbonate, 0.8 grams Pot Bromide. Makes a liter of stock and dilutes 1:2 and lasts all day.

    D-23 does indeed utilize only 7.5 grams metol and 100 grams sodium sulfite in a liter working solution. I have never tried it. But I will point out that the divided developers all store the developing agents in solution with sodium sulfite. The sodium carbonate is kept in solution by it's self. far as I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin