Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 707

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    And after a final rinse of photoflo, .... Jason
    While still dripping wet with the Photo Flo solution
    I slowly pull uninterrupted an eight blade film squeegee
    the film's full length. The squeegee is first rinsed in the
    Photo Flo. Negatives dry fast. I've lots of faultless 120
    rolls which have been squeegeed. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    My water is also pretty bad. The so-called water marks are probably dissolved impurities in the water that end up drying on the film. So what I do is after washing, I soak it in distilled water or filtered water for 30 seconds. No more water marks! I mostly use filtered water for this step since it's cheaper than distilled water, and it seems to work just as well. You can drop couple drops of photo-flo in it if you like. I use this low-foam wetting agent called "L.E.N."

The interesting thing is that if I use tap water for this last soak. The water mark immediately and surely comes back. So I know it's the water.

BTW, I gave up doing fingers or sqeezies on the film long time ago. I find no benefits and it tends to leave other marks or scratch the film.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hey all,

I made the mistake of taking down a strip of film before it completely dried and now I can make out spots of water on the film. Could I simply re-wet the film and then let it dry again?

And after a final rinse of photoflo, do I wash the film off with water or do I hang the film right after a rinse of photoflo? This sounds a bit dumb, but I thought I'd ask anywas. Sometimes I get a few small bubbles after pouring out the photoflo and was wondering if it was normal practice to rinse the photoflo off with some water.

Thanks,

Jason
    I use Photoflo with no problems mixing with a 60/40 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. Just be sure to use the correct amount of PF for the volume you are mixing. The alcohol allows the film to dry faster. I filter the used PF mixture for reuse. I have no spots. I use my fingers to squeegee roll film and allow sheet film to drip dry. I'll wick the corners of sheet film with a paper towel after it drips for a while in my drying cabinet.

Hope this helps.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Don,

Are there any negative "side effects" when using isopropyl alcohol on a negative? I have a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol in the cabinet... maybe I'll try mixing it up with some water and photoflo. Can the alchohol/water/photoflo solution be used on both prints and slides (color or b/w)?

Thanks,

Jason

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hey Don,

Are there any negative "side effects" when using isopropyl alcohol on a negative? I have a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol in the cabinet... maybe I'll try mixing it up with some water and photoflo. Can the alchohol/water/photoflo solution be used on both prints and slides (color or b/w)?

Thanks,

Jason
    I only use IA with PF on B&W film. And no there are not any side effects as long as the film is properly washed. Do not use this mixture on prints or color materials. I don't use a surficant on B&W prints either.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Don. A technique mentioned on page one seems to be working (I just developed 2 rolls of 120 film. I'll have to wait a bit longer to see how the film dries up, but there were no bubbles on the film when using the photoflo).

If it doesn't work, I'll try the alcohol mix.

Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin