Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,698   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Watermarks on negatives...

Hey all,

I made the mistake of taking down a strip of film before it completely dried and now I can make out spots of water on the film. Could I simply re-wet the film and then let it dry again?

And after a final rinse of photoflo, do I wash the film off with water or do I hang the film right after a rinse of photoflo? This sounds a bit dumb, but I thought I'd ask anywas. Sometimes I get a few small bubbles after pouring out the photoflo and was wondering if it was normal practice to rinse the photoflo off with some water.

Thanks,

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

photoflo

After the final rinse. Bath in a a tray with very little Photoflo and then slid it between fingers and hang. I have never any problems doing it MY WAY. I works for me so I don't stop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. I've been pouring the photoflo into the inversion tank, but in the process of pouring it in and pouring it out, small bubbles form around the negatives. I'll pick up a small tray the next time I'm in the photo store to pour the photoflo in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just use a distilled water rinse. I can reuse the distilled water so it probably costs me about a dime a roll. I've had problems with photoflo (even at low dilutions) so I just stick to distilled.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't bathe the film in photo-flo instead I hang it up and pour the photo-flo down the length of film
    Seems to reduce those bubbles a lot
    4x5 I always end up getting some bubbles no matter how hard I try to keep bubbles out of the rinse so I may try the finger wipe method one day here
    I don't notice any bubbles once dry or on the contact prints, though ..maybe if enlarged?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

photoflo

I've tryout many things. But what I've found was that since I found using cold water with tiny amount of PF I won't try anything different. For Me I will not develop a rl unless I have PF handy. Where I am @ we have very soft wtr so it works as the direction indicate. other places with different qualities of water it doesn't work the way they claim it should. So experimentation is a solution, it just takes a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't remember how much photoflo I mixed up with water, but I followed the instructions on the label. I'll have to try the tray method with photoflo. It seems like this may be the solution.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try each one and stick with what works

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use Photoflo. I remember reading somewhere that if the bubbles/rinse don't run down the negs, it's time to mix a fresh batch. I always check this and if the rinse sits on the negs, it gets put back into water and I mix a new batch, before rinsing again.
    So far, I haven't had any problems, and it's so cheap, mixing new rinse every so often isn't a hardship.

Nanette

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip Nanette! I'll definitely have to check and see if the photoflo is running down the negatives tomorrow.

After my negatives have fully dried, I can't make out any water marks, but I'll have to check again in better light. Either way, if they're still there, it shouldn't be too hard to run the negatives over water and some photoflo again.

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason, i use a small amount of bubble bath, mind a small amount. Then as said run between the fingers, i find that the bubble bath adds a small amount of film to the negs, so less chance of to much pressure on the film, so less chance of marks. This after dev, stop, fix, then into the bath for a soak, with bubble bath.

Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin