Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,458   Posts: 1,597,396   Online: 1070

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One developer that I almost never here about here is Zonal Pros' Gamma plus. Used at a 1:20 dilution it's almost like using D-23. I was able to get negs with APX-100 that would impress anyone. I don't have times for a JOBO though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    DDX seems to get the most votes. I will have a think about this. I have used DDX and liked the results, but the price is high.

A 250ml bottle of LC29 costs about £6. To develop the equivalent number of films as this bottle in DDX costs £72.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark. My 35mm Jobo tank on rotary processing needs 140ml per film. DDX comes in a 1 litre container that makes 5 litres at 1+4. So that 5000cc divided by 140 which is 35 films. DDX from Jessops is £12 so about 35p per film or less than 1p per frame for 36 frame films. I can't speak about LC29 cost but given the quality of DDX, a penny per frame doesn't seem bad.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use mostly a self-mixed Pyrocat-HD and Rodinal for all my B&W needs - up to this day this combination serves me fine, and it's very economical in use.

Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark,

what film format are you using? Results will vary in graininess considering the size of the film towards enlargements.

Kind regards,
    Geert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a big fan of HC-110, but I do admit that it does have advantages. Have you tried using it at higher dilutions? That would surely give you longer development times you want. I realize that documentation for higher dilutions may be a bit scarce, but you can get some reasonable starting times by extrapolating from what is available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Have you tried a more dilute solution of LC29? More dilute
    devs usually require a longer dev time...LC29 is great stuff,
    I think I'd find a way to make it work or, accept (rejoice in)
    the very short dev times.
    More dilute? First to try although solution volume may be
    a limiting factor. Another option would add a deactivator.
    I'd consider adding some small amount of bicarbonate of
    soda, baking powder. Trial and error. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    After switching to Jobo drums I diluted my my HC110 to 1:70 giving me development times between 10-12 minutes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordke View Post
    After switching to Jobo drums I diluted my my HC110 to 1:70 giving me development times between 10-12 minutes.
    I think LC29 1+29 is the equivalent of HC110 dilution B. Maybe it is possible to experiment with increasing dilution.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Mark,

what film format are you using? Results will vary in graininess considering the size of the film towards enlargements.

Kind regards,
    Geert
    I'm using 35mm and 120 (occasionally 4x5). It is not grain that is the problem. It is the fact that I sometimes get short times for N development so contracting development for high contrast scenes sometimes becomes a bit precarious.

I started the thread by just speculating as to whether there was another economical long lasting developer that can be used in Jobos that has longer development tme than LC29. I can get along with LC29 for most things, but it would be nice to have an equivalent fine grain developer that would extend the times a bit.

Searches came up with two cheap alternatives: FD10 and Aculux; but most people seem to recommend DDX and no-one seems to have any experience of Aculux or FD10. I think DDX is expensive, but as Pentaxuser says it is not THAT expensive all things considered. So I am now thinking I may give it a try again (I have used it before and liked the results).

Cheers.
    Mark Tomlinson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin