Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,036   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Pinholes in my fortepan 400..?

lots of them. I'm using Rodinal 1:25, a water stop bath and TF-4 non hardening fixer. What gives ?

Thanks

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Could you post a sample image? I've had some occasionally, but haven't had too many using PMK, ABC, Acufine, or the sheets I've tested recently in FX6a (monobath).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I'll scan a negative a little later. I've also had this problem in the past with the arista.edu variety and diafine. They're pinhole images and may even add to the effect I'm after but it's disconcerting to not be able to control them.
    All of my Fortepan 400 is 120 btw.
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 03-29-2008 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got a bunch of arista edu(200 I think) and it was full of pin holes as well. Unusable. I wish I knew exactly what is the cause. The other day i came up with one roll of Acros that had pin holes. Never had that happen before!!?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used it only in sheet sizes except for a couple of rolls of 120 I got to test when they upgraded the emulsion a few years ago.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have experienced this over the past year. Numerous times, several makes of film. It's either missing emulsion (pin holes) or miscellaneous foreign matter (black specks) in the emulsion. I figured the cause is the price threshold. For example, if I buy film that costs less than $3.00 a roll (35mm or 120), I get more crap in the emulsion. As soon as I started paying more for quality film, those problems have become less frequent. There's an expression that covers this . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pinholes

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    lots of them. I'm using Rodinal 1:25, a water stop bath and TF-4 non hardening fixer. What gives ?

Thanks

Victor
    Try NOT using stop bath and substitute plain water on the next roll. If the stop bath is too strong it will cause bubbles to form in the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But he is using a water stop bath.

Victor, I'm sorry I cannot help you. All I can say is that if it was a late run by Forte you are probably more likely to run into coating defects. I have some Forte Polygrade that has the most beautiful color I've ever seen in lith, but it has coating defects... Late run of production.
    Funny thing is I'm having some pinhole issues with the Foma 400 film I'm using (as Arista.EDU 400) too. Consistent problems over near 40 rolls of the stuff now, and I've used Rodinal, Xtol, Sprint, Pyrocat, Ilfotec DD-X, and 130. Back to Tri-X and Ilford. I'm tossing the Arista rolls if anyone wants them...

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Try NOT using stop bath and substitute plain water on the next roll. If the stop bath is too strong it will cause bubbles to form in the emulsion.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format

DUH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    But he is using a water stop bath.

- Thomas
    Sorry 'bout that. BTW, IF the the Arista is still available, I could use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Promised to someone else already.

Victor, I am so sorry. I didn't think clearly when I posted on here film for free... Didn't mean to steal any of the thunder.
    But, the film is gone.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Sorry 'bout that. BTW, IF the the Arista is still available, I could use it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin