Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,283   Online: 703

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Adox Vario Classic Fibre - Experiences?

A disappointing evening in the darkroom upon discovering that the pack of Agfa MCC III 20x16 I had carefully preserved for many, many years turned out to be totally fogged. No idea how that could have happened, although the even overall fogging throughout the whole pack suggests something more than just light was at work.

After drying my eyes and downing a strong cup of tea, I decided to try out a new box of Adox Vario Classic fibre base instead. I like the results, excellent rich blacks, and I wondered has anyone had much experience with this paper recently?

Searching the forum pulls up mainly old posts comparing it to a few long-gone papers, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has done any safelight tests with it? As the guidance is 'red only', I switched safelight filters to a Kodak No.2 in a beehive over the sink and a Kodak 1A ceiling fitting some distance away. All seemed fine for a four minute development time, but I didn't do any thorough testing, hoping that someone may already have done that?

Also, looking at the Adox page about this material, they give variable contrast filtration for Durst enlargers. Would this be the same for a De Vere dichroic head?
    Finally, has anyone used it with a Multigrade head and, if so, how does it respond to the Ilford filtration?

Hoping that one of you may have the answers to the above. If not, then I feel a thorough testing work-out may be required next time I return to the dark side.
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to get this paper from J&C, one of my all time favorite papers. If I could print on that and Polywarmtone, I'd be a happy camper. Deep red safe lights, always. I lament that I don't have a US source for it anymore. Hopefully Freestyle will decide to carry it soon, as they have some other ADOX papers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Follow-up: the Adox Print

I've been asked via PM to share the print made on Adox Fine Print Vario, so here it is.
    I'm not 100% pleased with the image, but the paper shows great promise, particularly in those shadow areas.

Shot with a Fuji GW690III on Ilford Delta Pro 400, developed in ID11 1+1.
    Print on Adox Fine Print Vario Classic Glossy, Grade 4 filtration (80M on De Vere Dichroic), D163 1+3 for 4 minutes 20 deg C. Not toned - trying selenium with it on the next print run!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adox_FinePrint_Vario001.jpg  
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin