Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,385   Online: 1111

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post

25asa

:
    I find myself saying "ASA" a lot, old habits are hard to break. It flows of the tongue easier, too.

Implies that you have been around awhile, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I refuse to say "ISO"... people think I'm talking about shooting a digital camera.
    Besides, then I get a chance to explain about the olden days when we all took Real Pictures, not "virtual images."
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Aurelien,
    The difficulty in 'new' film products is the return on investment and the nett increase in sales, so often what actually happens is that the sales are just diluted across the range, not increased, and whilst we would love global monochrome film sales to increase they are not at present.
    Simon,

Even if the total market does not expand when you introduce new film, would new film cut you more market shares, say from Kodak, Foma, etc? I imagine the film market as a whole is still very large and profitable and will remain so for some years to come. So it may still be a good thing to do? Look at the auto industry: everybody knows oil is doomed, probably run out in 20 years, or price go sky high or suffer from punishing environment control levy, yet all these car companies keep designing new cars. I won't pretend to know business better than you, but if you can recoup your investment in a few years and possibly earn couple more years of profit from it, it may still be worthwhile to do.

Also, have you looked into the Chinese market? Digital cams are comparably very expensive there (I have first hand knowledge of this.) While many areas are at par with developed countries in terms of technology usage, the vast majority, here we are talking hundreds of millions of people, don't own or use computers. So traditional film is still more convenient for them. Even if you could get film to just one tenth of them, it could be bigger than the rest of the world put together. Then there's also India.

These countries have unlimited purchasing power (China is already #3 economy and poised to surpass japan any time now), and at the same time they are very insophisticated about how to spend their new found wealth. So there may be great opportunities for you there. Most of those who dared to try their hands in China ended up succeeding beyond their dreams. Getting into China may be easier than you think! Once you do, volume would be assured.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    I find myself saying "ASA" a lot, old habits are hard to break. It flows of the tongue easier, too.

Implies that you have been around awhile, too.
    I still think of it as 27° DIN...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Well there we go - with you two combined we have ISO 400/27°

Shooter
    35mm
    So how do you do "sunny sixteen" with DIN?

Yeah, I thought so.

(Ouch. I can almost feel the wrath coming.)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't do "sunny sixteen" with ISO or ASA either, that would give me lots of underexposed film.

So what I do is to estimate the lighting levels, compensate for contrast, and expose accordingly. No numbers involved.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    snip"

So what I do is to estimate the lighting levels, compensate for contrast, and expose accordingly. No numbers involved.
    That's the "wet finger" method that I don't use in winter since I've forgotten how to compensate for wind chill.

But what has this got to do with Ilford films you may ask.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jack C,

We do sell in China, but only to the very highest level, the reason is twofold we must pay import duties and China still has a domestic manufacturer of mono film ( some say 2 with ERA ) but China Lucky do supply film and paper and the price is very, very low, people who want our quality and can afford it do buy it.

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Simon,

May be some marketing effort would be useful (in China). Ilford is well known for not doing much marketing. China has changed a lot from even 10 years ago (again I have first hand knowledge of this.) Western luxury items and fashion sell like hot cakes there (and they can afford it.) I'm sure price is not an issue if the quality is good. And we know Ilford quality is good. Some bill boards with cool and sophisticated Bristish style fashion/beauty in black and white ought to be extremely attractive to the Chinese. Don't just do this in a few major cities. Focus more on second tier ones. Cheaper, more effective.

So long you are in business. Marketing is always necessary. You don't just wait around till it dwindles away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin