Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,682   Online: 735

Thread: Agfa APX 400

Shooter
    35mm RF

Agfa APX 400

Just got some of the above film from Retro Photographic (can't say I was overly impressed with their customer service, but that's another matter for another day!). I was wondering what people's experience of this film is? - what do i need to look out for? etc

Thanks

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedeebee View Post
    Just got some of the above film from Retro Photographic (can't say I was overly impressed with their customer service, but that's another matter for another day!). I was wondering what people's experience of this film is? - what do i need to look out for? etc
    Its a good film. But you knew that, right? :-)
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedeebee View Post

Thanks
    I like Tri-X a bit better, but APX 400 was a real bargain. Good film at probably too low of a price. Shot many wedding with it in 120 size. No complaints. Looked really good in WD2D+, a pyro dev., but all Agfa films stained and printed well in the pyro devs I've used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a very good film.
    Try it in DDX, rodinal special or rodinal (1+25 6min, ei320, agitae every 30seconds)

apx400 in rodinal special

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9009458...74023/sizes/l/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I loved the stuff! Very smooth tonality and tight grain. Not fantastic for portraits in 35mm but you can make the midtones glow and have tons of detail in the shadows AND detail in the highlights. My best exposures were usually around ISO 200-250. Fave developers are DD-X and Clayton F-76+. Sad to see it go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX400 was my favourite film as long as it lasted! Even better when printed on Agfa paper. Better not drag up the memories and get back to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it is very nice film. Just one thing over the years I have been wondering I use Rodinol Developer. If you shoot the 400 flm @ 200 ASA and use a 1:50 dilution it takes 10 minutes. Shoot the same film@ 325-500 ASA it takes 30 minutes. 20 minutes difference is a LOOONG Time in film development time. Most films its a couple of minutes either way. What goes on in that absolute darkness that takes so long ?? I've been looking through Agfas info sheets and Rodinol but I can get a satisfactory solution. Is that something I should just shut up and accept ??

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin