Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,710   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ouchie

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    You will do a better, more conscientous and thoughtful job than a commercial lab.
    Ouchie we arn't all careless labs.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clearly not all labs are as good as yours, Steve

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I KNOW Stephen does a great job and many do almost as good a job as Stephen but when you develop it, your control is unsurpassed.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Ouchie we arn't all careless labs.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab
    Stephen,

I know you Aussies are cowboys, and will keep your word, but this is Old Europe...

I came here from the US, and I was in shock and awe...shameless and careless are the operating words here, suffice to say that I am using the best lab in Brussels...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    I KNOW Stephen does a great job and many do almost as good a job as Stephen but when you develop it, your control is unsurpassed.
    hey Vic i couldn't agree more, see the advantage of processing your own stuff is you can learn which developer works best for your tastes, which development time really is your optimum time agitation, dilution.... there is just so much you can tweak with black and white and it really is a medium where those subtle variations make fundamental differences. There are lots of great labs who do care for how your film is run, but the ability to be the one in control of your own film certainly has its benefits.

~steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    forgot, some very sharp scissors to cut film off roll.
    They don't really have to be all that sharp. (Nostalgic rambling alert!)
    24 years ago I set up a darkroom class in a local community center. As I was buying supplies for it, I began to worry about the possible liability issues that might arise when people I don't know start using sharp objects in the dark. So I bought a pair of plastic children's scissors, which had a thin strip of metal for a cutting edge, but blunted by the plastic body so that you would have to try really hard to hurt yourself... or somebody else.
    24 years later, I'm still using those scissors in my own darkroom to cut 35mm film. Every time I reach for the "real" scissors to cut 120 film, I get nervous!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One quick thought about your films. Delta 3200 needs a lot more processing than the other films so it would be doubtful they were all put in the same soup, or at least at the same time. An even more charitable reading would be that as one roll was overprocessed, this may have been processed as a test and the other four may have been reduced accordingly. I've been processing film for clients for longer than I care to remember, and I will usually put a test roll through first if there is a batch of film, especially if it is for a new client. However, it is not unknown for some labs to increase the temperature of the dev so most film times become so close together, which then makes it easier to give a 'standard', dev time. There again, so many labs have shut down in the last few years, I expect there is less of this happening.
    All the best
    Mike
    PS. But processing it yourself will give the ultimate control!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The list provided by rob champagne is a great one.I would add a notebook to keep you developing data.
    You can download the "Massive Development Chart" to use as a guide and follow development instruction to the letter.As you become more at ease with the process you might want to tweak development times or agitation.The notebook servers as your reference point.

Shooter
    Medium Format

PS

PS. Steve's of course right. If it is a good lab, they should be fine to talk through their processing technique and which developers they use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    One quick thought about your films. Delta 3200 needs a lot more processing than the other films so it would be doubtful they were all put in the same soup, or at least at the same time. An even more charitable reading would be that as one roll was overprocessed, this may have been processed as a test and the other four may have been reduced accordingly. I've been processing film for clients for longer than I care to remember, and I will usually put a test roll through first if there is a batch of film, especially if it is for a new client. However, it is not unknown for some labs to increase the temperature of the dev so most film times become so close together, which then makes it easier to give a 'standard', dev time. There again, so many labs have shut down in the last few years, I expect there is less of this happening.
    All the best
    Mike
    PS. But processing it yourself will give the ultimate control!
    What happened with the delta 3200 was that I gave them the rolls over a period of time, one by one, so probably that forced them to develop them one at a time indeed.

The fifth one had the smudgy lines and the big contrast, so I got suspicious. It's definitely different from the other rolls though, so maybe it's an actual delta 3200 process, but hurried or something like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin