Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,618   Online: 1198

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Some thoughts on Emaks

I've had a few sessions with Emaks K888, using the grade 4 to help me print some flat med-format negatives. I'm using LPD developer at 1:2 for approx 2 1/2 minutes.

Overall thoughts: The paper's finish is beautiful, a very natural air-dried glossy finish with a nice weight to it. The gloss is slightly more glossy than Ilford FB, and has slightly less weight to it than the Ilford. It feels like a quality paper in the hand. It has a white base that registers as white to the eye, but it is not as white as Ilford FB, a small difference not noticed unless the two are viewed side by side. The paper is very economical with a 25 sheet pack going for $14.99 at Freestyle.

I found Emaks to be almost one stop slower than Ilford.

I didn't find the grade 4 that contrasty, but then again, I was printing flat negatives, trying to eke some decent contrast and light separation from them.

Drydown seemed considerable, at least 12-15% it seemed to me. I didn't measure this, it's just an off-the-cuff judgement. Have others noticed this as well?

I bought a red safelight filter to use with this paper, but didn't use it, instead using my usual OC filter at first to see what would happen. The paper was fine, with no discernible fogging or discoloration at all. I work quickly with my paper, and as soon as the image starts coming up in the developer I always turn it upside down in the tray to completion.

I have not toned any of the prints made with this paper yet, but I did some local bleaching as well as some tray bleaching of the entire print. It seemed to take bleach well.

I know there's a very good recent thread re this paper already on APUG, but wanted to add another first-hand experience for those thinking about trying this paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tone it... -)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It tones very nicely. One of the real attractions of Emaks is that it responds well to processing controls, like amidol and waterbath processing, contrast controlling developers, and toning. I haven't tried it in an autotoning developer, but I suspect this would work as well.

More modern papers are designed to be very consistent independent of process, which has its advantages, but makes the paper less flexible, if you like to experiment with such things.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    I bought a red safelight filter to use with this paper,
    but didn't use it, instead using my usual OC filter at
    first to see what would happen. The paper was fine,
    with no discernible fogging or discoloration at all.
    Right. Nice gloss, deep blacks, AND as flat a paper out
    of the box as any I've encountered. By my tests it makes
    a center Grade 2 with Beer's 7, a most contrasty brew.

If you need more contrast try Slavich. Makes Grade 3.
    Slavich Grade 4 may make 5. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A PS: I'm using a rather bright yellow-ish orange
    safelighting with no problems. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guillaume, yes I'll try toning it...selenium for now, and sepia next.

David, I'll try a few of those ideas, as well as LPD at a higher temp for the heck of it.

Dan, very flat out of the box and dries pretty flat as well, great blacks...and I'll try Slavich. I bought a pack of Slavich grade 4 at the same time as the Emaks!

As I mentioned, I'm working on some flat negatives and trying to dial in something that will help me with them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Dan, very flat out of the box and dries pretty flat as well,
    great blacks...and I'll try Slavich. I bought a pack of Slavich
    grade 4 at the same time as the Emaks!
    I erred. My tests show Slavich grade 2 a borderline
    grade 3 using Beer's 1 and a borderline grade 4 using
    Beer's 7. Beer's 1 and 7 are the extremes of the
    Beer's contrast control developer. Grade 4
    Slavich may make grade 6.

BTW, My pack of Slavich was the most bent of
    any paper I've seen. Really warped.
    Surprisingly contrasty. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't know that Emacs has a use in darkrooom printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    frdrx, works great, you just have to contort your fingers while processing it for it to come out right ;o)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PVia, glad to hear you're enjoying the Emaks. I'm loving it so far. Tried with some Ilford Warmtone 1+9 last night and I think I found a combo I want to stick with for a while. Made for some beautiful tones. I posted a scan of it in the gallery last night. I'll be interested in hearing how the selenium toning goes for you as I want to do some myself.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin