Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 723

Shooter
    Large Format

Formula for Hardener?

I am doing B&W reversal processing and just tried using thiourea to develop sepia-toned slides. SInce I use a permanganate bleach, I'd like to harden the emulsion after the thiourea redevelopment and just before washing. A test clip dipped in Kodak Rapid Hardening Fixer darkened the film and led me to believe that I shouldn't drop my whole roll into this.

Is Fixer a no-no for silver sulfide?

If I wanted to mix a hardening solution without fixer in it, how would I do this? Potassium Alum? Chrome Alum? Can I use diluted acetic acid to acidify the solution? Any other ingredients?

I'd like to avoid formalin unless that is really the best option. I'm trying to keep my darkroom limited to acutely toxic chemicals only ;-)

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    DO NOT DO IT! Hardening the film in mid process is not part of the system. How did thiourea become the second developer?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by amuderick View Post
    I am doing B&W reversal processing and just tried using thiourea to develop sepia-toned slides. SInce I use a permanganate bleach, I'd like to harden the emulsion after the thiourea redevelopment and just before washing. A test clip dipped in Kodak Rapid Hardening Fixer darkened the film and led me to believe that I shouldn't drop my whole roll into this.

Is Fixer a no-no for silver sulfide?

If I wanted to mix a hardening solution without fixer in it, how would I do this? Potassium Alum? Chrome Alum? Can I use diluted acetic acid to acidify the solution? Any other ingredients?

I'd like to avoid formalin unless that is really the best option. I'm trying to keep my darkroom limited to acutely toxic chemicals only ;-)

Thanks!
    Potassium alum in an acidified media is good. Remember the pH must be acidic (acetic acid is good - don't use citric acid) because potassium alum works only in acidic solutions.

There's a Tetenal hardener in the european market, readily available.

If you use a sulfide redeveloper (thiourea or sodium sulfide) an hardener/fixer is not required.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Alessandro, thank you.

By what means does the thiourea harden the emulsion?

I did notice it was much more resilient than using a standard light exposure + redevelopment.

Also, do you have any experience in altering the tone of the sulfide by changing the alkalinity of the solution (i.e. varying the amount of sodium carbonate)?

Thanks!

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your thiourea toning positives process sounds interesting. As you work through the various parts, would you be amenable to posting some sort of summary of the steps - formulas, times, temperatures etc?

Thanks!

C

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by amuderick View Post
    Alessandro, thank you.

By what means does the thiourea harden the emulsion?

I did notice it was much more resilient than using a standard light exposure + redevelopment.

Also, do you have any experience in altering the tone of the sulfide by changing the alkalinity of the solution (i.e. varying the amount of sodium carbonate)?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't use thiourea for the very same reason I don't use dichromate: because I believe it's carcinogenic.

I used sodium sulfide but haven't played much with the alkalinity of the solution (I don't have a pHmeter handy).

However, using half strenght permanganate solution works equally well as a bleach and does not damage the film emulsion.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin