Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,261   Online: 997

Thread: Expired PanF

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Expired PanF

Hi all,

I've just been given a brick of 120 PanF which expired in April 2006. I've never used expired film before. Should I use this film any differently compared to if it were new. Will there be any reduction in speed, or a level of fog.

It has just been stored on a shelf for the last few years.

regards

Geoff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's panF. it's ultra slow film. 2 years out of date doesn't mean anything especially to the slower films. Just shoot it as normal, I say.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have quite a few bricks (10-roll packs) in my fridge, stored since I got them and they just expired. I sure hope they last!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got about 700 ft. of the stuff, labeled as Arista Pro 50 from Freestyle, in my freezer. Don't know how old it is, but it surely dates from before Ilford stopped allowing the stuff to be re-branded. It's fine, and I expect it to stay that way for quite some time. Slow B&W films usually keep well past the expiration date. This one does, especially if kept cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Arista Pro 50 (I have 300' of it) expired in February 2006.

I've been getting good results from it, but I am keeping it frozen nonetheless.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It will definitely work like new - if it was stored with needed precautions, far from heat, radiation and fogging gases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50 roll box of it that expired in 1997. I'm shooting it with an E.I. of 50 and am really happy with the results. Pan-F has a unique look that I really like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Processed a roll of Pan F+, dated Oct 2004, with no problems. Film was kept in ambient room temperature in a chester drawer and with other rolls of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pan F+ is pretty tolerant to expiration, two years is nothing. I would make no changes in EI or processing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin