Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,667   Online: 783

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The time should be 8 minutes, but 6-10 will give about the same result.

I am really still tweaking this myself so nothing is in stone here.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy. Ballpark is fine for me at this point. We all do it a little differently anyway. Looking forward to seeing what you work out as your standard.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Thanks Sandy. Ballpark is fine for me at this point. We all do it a little differently anyway. Looking forward to seeing what you work out as your standard.

Lee
    BTW, I am finding that just doubling the amount of phenidone works a bit better than tripling it. 3X the original amount add a bit too much B+F.

The curious thing to me is that B+F is pretty high with all of the two-bath developers, including the commerical one Diafine. But that may not be much of a negative with the Pyrocat-HD two-bath solution since the purpose here is to develop negatives for scanning and the extra stain should decrease grain a lot.

And you can definitely use the A solution again several times within a period of 4-6 hours, but I think it better to use fresh B each time.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am attaching the Pyrocat-HD H&D curves for two-bath development of TRI-X and T-MAX 400.

As you can see, the SBR of both files is over 9.

Because of the stain measurement was with Blue mode with the densitometer.

B+F is quite high, overall Dmax is quite low so these negate\ives should scan very well. And they appear to be very sharp.

Technique: 2 minute pre-soak, 6 minutes in Solution A working, 1:10, 10 minutes in Solution B working 1:10, 5 minute post soak, stop bath and fix normally.

The only change to the developer is that I doubled the amount of phenidoine compared to normal Pyrocat-HD.

Sandy King
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TRI-X-TWO-BATH.jpg   T-MAX-400-TWO-BATH.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for sharing this Sandy.

Is this the new TMY-2 ?

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Thanks for sharing this Sandy.

Is this the new TMY-2 ?

Lee

Lee,

Yes, it was the new TMY-2, and also a fairly new TRI-X 320 TXP. Kodak improved the grain of this film significantly several years ago and it is very much like the old version. Curiously, that change went almost unnoticed, in contrast to the big news Kodak is making about the new TMY-2.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy,
    Is two bath posible with Pyrocat-P also?
    Thanks,
    John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173 View Post
    Sandy,
    Is two bath posible with Pyrocat-P also?
    Thanks,
    John

I am fairly sure that you could do the two bath with Pyrocat-P, but I suspect that you would have to increase the p-aminophenol a bit to keep the speed. In testing Pyrocat-P I already get slightly lower speed than with -HD and -MC.

Let me know if you try it. I don't have any Pyrocat-P mixed right now and also believe I am out of p-aminophenol so can not try it myself.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I did some more tests today with other films, FP4+, T-MAX 100 and Acros. With both Diafine, a commercial product, and with Pyrocat-HD divided.

One of the things you will find is that two-bath development with a given formula will not result in the same average gradient with different films. Instructions for some other two-part developer, Diafine for example, suggest this to be the case, but it is not so. Films show their own characteristics with this form of development, as they do with traditional one-bath development.

Another thing, two-bath development with the slightly modified Pyrocat-HD appears to work fine with rotary processing, though you will need to make some compensation for time for any given film. For T-MAX 100 the standard procedure described earlier, i.e. 6 minutes in A plus 10 minutes in B, gave negatives of the same Dmax and density range as negatives developed with rotary processing for 4 minutes in A and 4 minutes in B.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, I usually mix my HD with metol, not phenidone. What would you say were good starting dev times for this formualtion? No need to do a test, a rough guess will do nicely. Thanks. J

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Sandy, I usually mix my HD with metol, not phenidone. What would you say were good starting dev times for this formualtion? No need to do a test, a rough guess will do nicely. Thanks. J
    How much metol do you use per liter of stock solution?

If the amount is about 10X the amount of phenidone I would recommend that you start with 6+10 for minimal agitation and 4+4 for rotary.

Sandy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin