Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,769   Online: 962

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pyrocat HD: Different films in same tank

I've read up on all I can find regarding Prescysol and Pyrocat HD's similarities. I understand many believe they are the same developer, but some disagree.

At any rate, Pyro HD seems to be a great, and cheap, developer. Prescysol, on the other hand, is not at all cheap.

The best feature to me with Prescysol is the ability to develop different films in the same tank with the same dev time and get good results. This has cleared out my stock of undeveloped films in no time. The results have been good. Better than when I used different times and developers for different films? I don't know. But definitely not worse. I have not measured, and will not, the densities etc of these films. They have been easy to sc*n. I think they look fine to print as well.

Has anyone tried the same routine with Pyro HD? (I use _mainly_ Delta 100 and HP5+. Sometimes I do Efke 25. I'll do some IR-films when the time comes.)

Many thanks,
    Henning
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Henning

Take a look at this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/40568-prescysol.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will need to do film tests to use this developer with your film(s) of choice. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never used Prescytol but have been using Pyrocat-HD for quite some time, now in PEG-solution.
    But I do not develop different films for the same time, like described in "Elements" for Prescytol. I do TMax 400 at 21C for 17,5 mins semi stand. FP4+ at 10 mins 20 deg C normal agitation. TMax 100 semi stand at 21C for 15 mins, etc. And I find it worthwhile to adjust one minute more or less to adjust contrast. Maybe it would work to develop everything for 10 minutes normal agitation at 20 deg C for scanning. But a better way to save time might be to do semi stand agitation. Then you will have time to agitate many tanks at the same time, like me!
    /matti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Regardless of whether Prescysol and Pyrocat-HD are the same developer I would not recommend developing all films together for the same time unless you are willing to live with negatives of different average gradient. The plain fact of the matter is that if you develop the same fillm for a longer time in either Pyrocat-HF or Prescysol it will devleop to a higher average gradient. If having negatives of different average gradient is "good results" then by all means, develop all films together for the same time. So far as I know there are no development by-products from one film that will damage another one.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice and the link!

With a good few of my cameras it's more or less meaningless to do anything else than develop and cross my fingers! :-)
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Regardless of whether Prescysol and Pyrocat-HD are the same developer I would not recommend developing all films together for the same time unless you are willing to live with negatives of different average gradient. The plain fact of the matter is that if you develop the same fillm for a longer time in either Pyrocat-HF or Prescysol it will devleop to a higher average gradient. If having negatives of different average gradient is "good results" then by all means, develop all films together for the same time. So far as I know there are no development by-products from one film that will damage another one.
    As I said. Sometimes, good enough is good enough. Sometimes you need ultimate control. And I think you can agree that Pyro'HD can give you both, it's all up to the user.
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wish to soup two differnt films in the same tank, I would recommend a divided (two-bath) developer. It's really hard to miss with these. However, with today's thin-emulsion films, it's felt that there isn't as much emulsion to soak up enough of the "A" bath to make it work like the old days. It can still work, but you may have to increase the dev time. Test rolls are advised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    If you wish to soup two differnt films in the same tank, I would recommend a divided (two-bath) developer. It's really hard to miss with these. However, with today's thin-emulsion films, it's felt that there isn't as much emulsion to soak up enough of the "A" bath to make it work like the old days. It can still work, but you may have to increase the dev time. Test rolls are advised.

Jim,

I agree with your comments about divided two-bath developers. In fact, I believe these type of developers make a lot of sense today when so many people are scanning their negatives and printing digitally. Course, no one here on APUG is doing that, right?

What is not widely understood is that many two-part developers can be used as two-bath developers. Barry Thornton's Diaxactol was originally marketed as a two part developer, though apparently not a very good one and was later re-marketed as a single bath developer.

Pyrocat-HD can also be used as a two-bath developer with excellent sharpness and fairly low B+F. For this I recommend a 1:10 dilution of both Parts A and B, and development as follows. Temperature of 70-75F okay , and not critical.

1. Water bath for five minutes.

2. Six minutes in Part A, with two inversions at the beginning, and two inversions at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 points of development.

3. Pour our Solution A and pour in Solution B. No rinse between.Initial agitation two or thee inversions, then two or three inversions at the 1/4, 12 and 3/4 points of development.

4. Pour out B, pour in water and leave for five minutes.

The purpose of the relatively long time in B and the final water bath is to allow developer exhaustion for maximum adjacency effects.

When used this way Pyrocat-HD is a very high acutance compensating developer, but with a slight loss of speed compared to normal use where you mix A and B together. I am currently looking at strategies to bring film speed up to box with the two bath method. But for now, if you choose to use the two bath method I would recommend that you halve the box speed.

Pyrocat-HD negatives with the two-bath method described above have incredible acutance, IMO even greater than with semi-stand development.

I will post an H&D curve later of a TRI- 320 negative developed this way.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, P'Cat HD is one dev I never thought of using as a divided. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin