Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,725   Online: 813

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contrasty film

IOS

Shooter
    35mm
    I have gotten strong contrast using Apx100 with hc-110 and high agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Good answers guys, but not really what she was asking. To increase contrast you must: increase time in dev., increase agitation, increase dev temp., or all three.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what we said.

All films will have higher contrat when developed longer, regardless of developer.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'll echo MHV and suggest copy film, if you don't mind the film being orthochromatic. Very responsive to increased development (by temp, time and agitation) as well as exposure. But it is not cheap either. Ilford make a nice one in sheets -- don't know if it is availible in rolls.

I have used both Kodak and Ilford copy film with HC-110 and have been able to get as much contrast as one could possibly want...and more.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want cheap high contrast the choice is Freestyles Lith film. Then you can read all the threads on reducing contrast -) For 4x5 look at the 3.9xsomething or other. The 4x5 is really 4x5.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    TechPan or Adox CMS20 in pretty much any developer. even in low-contrast developers these films have a ton of contrast.
    Adox CMS20 is not available in type 120 or sheet film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At the time they didn't know that. I forgot to mention that I was looking at films for larger formats. Sorry.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is easy to get high contrast with Ilford Pan F, readily available in 120, but not 4x5. Just underexpose and overdevelop and the contrast skyrockets. This is true to a certain extent with any black and white film, but more so with 100 speed and slower films. If you are busy, as I am sure you are with a 4 month old, why not just try some film that you already have and just underexpose and overdevelop, if you get close to what you want just add a little more aggressive agitation.
    Good luck,
    Doug Webb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Affordable ortho option

Consider Lith film - red blind, develop by inspection under safelight. ASA about 3-6 under daylight. When not developed in lith developer, it is capable of grey scale- consider a more dilute developer as a start , like HC-110b 1:1 .

It is also very cheap - buy some 8x10, etc, and cut it down to 4x5 in your darkroom, just like paper under safelight. It is also very fun to use in manipulating images to high contrast in the darkroom at higher developer concentrations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Adox CMS20 is not available in type 120 or sheet film.
    It's not? Phooey, I was just getting interested.

Adox ORT 25 is available in both and can give nice contrasty results without extraordinary treatment. I've played with it in Diafine and Caffenol LC+C, which not unnaturally give very different contrast (example of each attached---the landscape is Diafine). Neither is at the extreme you see with something like Tech Pan, though.

-NT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2372554061_4df4ae38e3.jpg   2250911426_06795c6757.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think that it's easy to make things way too difficult.

If you want high contrast - develop your film longer. How much longer? Depends on how much extra contrast you want. Trial and error.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin