Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,573   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contrasty film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Contrasty film

I'm wanting to shoot a film with high contrast for a few shots I'm wanting to do soon. What films play well with HC-110 or Rodinal (as I've standardized on these developers) and deliver a pretty contrasty image?

Crap, forgot to mention that I'm wanting this in 120 or 4x5. Tech Pan is DEFINITELY out at the prices I'm seeing it go for.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 04-02-2008 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Ilford Delta 100 in Rodinal. This combination is capable of producing punchy negatives from very low contrast scenes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Stephanie,

Good news (or bad??? ;>) ) You are in control of the contrast (and all the other things), not the film or developer. You should get good photos from any of the films available using the developers you have.

Start here and concentrate on chapters 4-6: http://photography.cicada.com/zs/

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Killer high contrat: Tech Pan in Dektol stock. Bulletproof. Below that, you can try ortho or document films, they can build up contrast pretty quick. With normal films, slow speed films like Efke 25, PanF+, Delta100 or TMAX 100 generously developed will do.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Koadk technical pan if you can still get any. But it may be tooooo contrasty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak Technical Pan indeed. But yes, you can make every film quite contrasty though this film is a real different animal.
    See here for results of my experiments with Technical Pan developed in HC110:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...cal-pan-3.html

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agitate more, more time when developing.

My first roll of 135 Delta 100, exposed at EI 50 was viciously contrasty after too much agitation and too much time in Rodinal 1+50. Trial and error - very reliable way to learn.

First time: 9 1/4 minutes at 20C [68F[, constant agitation for first 30 sec, then 3 inversions every 30 sec. Overkill.

Next time: 8 min, 20C, 3 inversions in first 30 sec, then one inversion per 30 sec. Much greater range of mid-tones, velvety silvers. Nice.

My current practice: Gentle stirring for first 30 sec, then one back-and-forth with stir rod or one very gentle agitation per minute. 8 min, 20C 1+50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good answers guys, but not really what she was asking. To increase contrast you must: increase time in dev., increase agitation, increase dev temp., or all three.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    TechPan or Adox CMS20 in pretty much any developer. even in low-contrast developers these films have a ton of contrast.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Good answers guys, but not really what she was asking. To increase contrast you must: increase time in dev., increase agitation, increase dev temp., or all three.
    With HC-110 or Rodinal you can add the use of stronger concentrations of developer to time temperature and agitation.

C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin