Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,083   Online: 1170

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-23 question

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Saganich View Post
    I've been replenishing my D23 with the balanced alkali replenisher from the cookbook rather then using it one-shot, so much better. I mix 1 liter of D23 and 1 liter of replenisher. I went through nearly 40 rolls without any issue. There was so much silver in the liter bottle I was suspicious it might do something to the film so i mixed up some fresh. Recently I've been developing 2/3 time straight and 1/3 time in a 1:3 dilution, or 1/3 in an 8 grams/liter borax solution. I'll post some examples ASAP.

I have a question about replenishing the 1:3 D23 dilution. Should I be using a 1:3 replenisher dilution or just less replenisher
    I use D-23, usually with a static (no agitation) 3-minute post-developer bath of a 1% Sodium Metaborate solution (aka Kodalk or Kodak Balanced Alkali), and I replenish with DK-25R. My 4.2-litre jug of developer had been on the go for over two years, and my results are consistent. The one problem is that a sludge will gradually accumulate at the bottom of the jug. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, even though when I replenish, I add the replenisher to the jug of developer, return the used developer to the bottle until it fills it to the very top, and discard the rest, usually about 50-100 mL. I then cap the bottle, and invert it four or five times to mix the replenisher. This causes a "snow storm" of black powder inside the bottle, but it settles out fairly quickly.

Last weekend I filtered out the sludge, using the same filters I use for making my morning coffee, which I have done a couple of times over the past two years. The crud that accumulates at the bottom is not silver, as far as I know. I'm not a chemist, and would enjoy hearing from a chemist/chemical engineer/scientist as to what that stuff is. I recall having read somewhere that it is probably a sulfite or a sulfite/calcium sludge. I live in an area with very hard water, so that seems likely.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    You should use only straight DK-25R; and only replenish used straight D23.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA
    The problem is, the man has been using and replenishing 1:3 D-23, apparently with good results. This is one of those "everybody knows" things, like the fact that tomatos are deadly poison, and garlic destroys the power of permanent magnets.

The replenisher amount and strength should be based on the amount of film developed, not on the strength of the original solution IMHO. Or maybe it's not so H.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    The problem is, the man has been using and replenishing 1:3 D-23, apparently with good results. This is one of those "everybody knows" things, like the fact that tomatos are deadly poison, and garlic destroys the power of permanent magnets.

The replenisher amount and strength should be based on the amount of film developed, not on the strength of the original solution IMHO. Or maybe it's not so H.
    Onions are bad for permanent magnets as well - - the helmsman was traditionally forbidden to eat either garlic or onions.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Onions are bad for permanent magnets as well - - the helmsman was traditionally forbidden to eat either garlic or onions.
    You see? That proves it!
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin