Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,820   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-23 question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

D-23 question

I have read many opinions about the classic D-23 formula acting as a silver solvent due to the amount of sodium sulfite in it. According to Barry Thornton reducing the sulfite to 80gr/litre eliminates the solvent action.
    The question: can one use the classic formula for D-23 but dilute 1:1 and achieve the same results or is it a question of ratios i.e. sulfite to metol?
    I routinely use D-23 at 1:1 with great results. thanks
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diluting it 1:1 or 1:3 obviously reduces the solvent action.

Whether reducing the sulfite and keeping the metol the same will change the behaviour in some desirable way versus diluting it 1:1 with the published formula is an exercise for you. I suspect it will be different in some way.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cutting the sulfite to 80g/liter doesn't eliminate the solvent action, but merely reduces it. The cutoff point is about 50g/liter. Diluting the stock 1+1 will get you to the point of 50g/liter as the stock solution calls for 100g/liter.

In addition, 1+1 or greater give a compensating effect which is often desirable.

Not sure that this will help. I have a feeling I'm telling you something you already know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

D-23

Thanks all, I may have already known it but I tend to think too much which makes for questions of all sorts. I regularly use a 1:1 dilution and often times modifiy this by developing in straight D-23 for the first 2 miins then dilute to 1:1 for the remainder of my standard developing time. This seems to give excellent results with good low and midtone contrast while keeping the highlights under control. My images routinely run a 6 to 8 stop range.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Images
    While you are comparing, try substitutung sodium ascorbate in place of sodium sulfite. Add a little borax to keep pH the same for both.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    While you are comparing, try substitutung sodium ascorbate in place of sodium sulfite. Add a little borax to keep pH the same for both.
    That's the beauty of D-23! It's so simple that you can change it to anything you like. However, I was once politely informed that once you change it, it isn't d-23 anymore.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Cutting the sulfite to 80g/liter doesn't eliminate the
    solvent action, but merely reduces it.

In addition, 1+1 or greater give a compensating effect
    which is often desirable.
    My D-23 formula is 8-80, metol-sulfite. I've used
    it on a few rolls of Acros at 1:7 and like the results.
    My gray card tests with densitometer determined
    densities show I'm making ISO 100. Looks like
    good highlight control.

One roll of 120; 500ml at 1:7: developer in then
    3 inversions, then 3 at 1 minute and 3 at 2 minute
    intervals. One-shot, 16 minutes. Dan

Images
    Don't get me wrong. I used to like it a lot. Every so often I try it again and think "That was really pretty good." The most expensive, and for, hardest to get is the sulfite, so I save my sulfite for jobs I haven't found a substitute for at the local pharmacy or grocery.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been replenishing my D23 with the balanced alkali replenisher from the cookbook rather then using it one-shot, so much better. I mix 1 liter of D23 and 1 liter of replenisher. I went through nearly 40 rolls without any issue. There was so much silver in the liter bottle I was suspicious it might do something to the film so i mixed up some fresh. Recently I've been developing 2/3 time straight and 1/3 time in a 1:3 dilution, or 1/3 in an 8 grams/liter borax solution. I'll post some examples ASAP.

I have a question about replenishing the 1:3 D23 dilution. Should I be using a 1:3 replenisher dilution or just less replenisher
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should use only straight DK-25R; and only replenish used straight D23.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin