Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 994

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope PE or Carnie wander by !

In the old days, before the world was color, commercial labs developed film in large tanks.
    Some still do. As developer was used up, a modified developer formula was added in precise amounts to keep the activity constant. Development by-products accumulated in the solution, and the resulting negatives were often ... different ... than using one shot developer at home. It didn't hurt that a lot of shooters had a special darkroom guy who KNEW what the photographer wanted and, like a winemaker or cheesemaker, practised photo-alchemy. It was sometimes a factor in the subtle quality of an old picture. One guy in Paris assured me that HIS astonishing results were due to the Gauloises he chainsmoked, the ash that fell into the developer having some amazing effect. But I was a 20 year old American kid and probably looked like I'd believe him.

Replenishment is impractical in small darkrooms because it's success depends on a lot of film going through the lab every day. Find somebody running a dip-and-dunk machine and if he/she is good, pay whatever they want. Otherwise, get your D-76 under control and go make lots of pictures. A lot of the 'old secrets' SHOULD remain secrets !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak made special film and print developers for the photofinsiher. These developers were not available to the hobbyist AFAIK unless you wanted to use huge amounts. I remember mixing the replenisher in tanks as tall as I was.

The developer had the color of mud after replenishment for month after month and was never replaced, just replenished constantly. The machines had replenishment settings for throughput, but the boss used "Kentucky Windage" to get the results he wanted. He jammed a pair of print tongs under the replenisher flow float to tweak the flow rate. I gradually learned how to do it by the feel of the tongs under the float. It had to be just right, or the flow was off and prints were too light or too dark.

Yes, times were different then. I spent hours sitting in front of Kodak model IV and III printers judging negatives +, N+, N, N-, and - for printing, and my error rate was about double the boss' rate. He was a master at this. But I learned a lot from him and probably made more prints in 4 - 5 years under his instruction than many have in their entire lifetime. That does not count what I learned in the AF.

Those were heady years for analog photographers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm so glad to see you posting again Don!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    So am I.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well guys, that's all very fine and dandy, and very kind of you, but how do I go about those special qualities of replenished developer in my paterson 2-reel tank?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    Well guys, that's all very fine and dandy, and very kind of you, but how do I go about those special qualities of replenished developer in my paterson 2-reel tank?
    For replenished D-76 you have to develop straight up in full-strength solution, no 1+1 dilution one shot. Pour the solution back into your full-strength bottle, and add replenisher computed on the amount of film you just processed. Over time the developer will season and should give you a "different" look. Kodak used to sell D-76 replenisher, may still, but it can be made from scratch also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Replenished D76 is one way, you can also take a look at this article: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, PPDs were used in many early developers to get good, high quality images. Unfortunately, they were slow developers in many cases and also tended to cause skin rashes.

So, if you do use PPD, please wear gloves. Of course, other PPDs can be substituted such as CD-3 and CD-4 although I believe that CD-1 and CD-2 were more popular about 50 - 75 years ago.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Thanks. Callow said there would be beer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Replenished D76 is one way, you can also take a look at this article: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html
    The problem with Harvey's 777 is the REPLENISHER hasn't been made in decades. Adding stock doesn't work nearly as well.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 05-01-2008 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin