Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,561   Online: 1085

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Diluted DDx Solution - Lifetime

I know a stock solution of ilford DDx in the bottle will last around 6 months after opening, but once I have diluted DDx to a working solution (1+4), how long can it be stored. I have it sealed in a tank with cling film and a sealed lid.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Rgds

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think that only a few hours, a day or two tops
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds as if you have made up the whole container into working solution but I hope I am wrong. If you haven't yet used it and several days at least have elapsed, I'd be wary of putting any important film in it. If they are all "keepers" I'd try cutting the first couple of negs of the film and developing them. That way you lose or have a poor couple of negs only if it has lost its power.

If you can afford to waste a film then it might be instructive for the rest of us for you to develop a few frames at regular intervals several days apart just to see what the keeping properties of DDX at working strength is.

We all might learn a lot. It may be that Ilford in its research before launching DDX conducted experiments along these very lines. A note to them might reveal its experience.

I certainly would be interested.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford recommend no more than 24 hours. I have used DD-X working solution the next day (process one batch on one day, another batch the next), but not if I am processing films at a high EI, when I use it as a one shot developer.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    forget what ilford says, DD-X keeps quite well, especially for being in its class of developers. i make 1:4 dilution and it keeps for weeks at least. you do need to bottle it up though. exposed to air, probably it won't last long.

I agree with cotdt. I have a bottle of DDX that I opened and didn't use for over 6 months. I looked at it and it didn't appear oxidized so I tried it. It worked just fine and I continued to use the bottle up with no problems. DDX has become my favorite developer. I use it with FP4 mostly but I tried some on a roll or two of Fomapan that my son had and it was great!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wouldn't use anything mixed after a day.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin