Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,556   Online: 995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    In "the old days" (not so long ago actually) I worked in a commercial darkroom. We used a lot of photo-opaque and a lot of lith to get the effects used before digital appeared on the scene, so don't be feeling that that sort of idea is somehow less analogue ! ;o)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The filter should make little if any difference since ortho film is sensitive ONLY to blue light.
    Isn't ortho sensitive to both blue and green?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    In "the old days" (not so long ago actually) I worked in a commercial darkroom. We used a lot of photo-opaque and a lot of lith to get the effects used before digital appeared on the scene, so don't be feeling that that sort of idea is somehow less analogue ! ;o)
    True, this work is not less analogue.

Perhaps it's just my own way of working, but I am really proud of a picture when I have not much to tweak when printing. I try to stay with contrast/grade exposition and cropping. Sometimes I do some dodge and burn, but not that often, I don't like it.

I feel that using film gives me more freedom, and maybe - or paradoxally - less work to do on the picture. I try to get the most interesting negs possible and if they are not, I do what I can but I never do a lot of manipulations.

Maybe I can explain this by working in a small not convenient darkroom (my bathroom)!

This being said, I will certainely try all the differents ways you guys proposed me, and stick with the on that give me what I want directly on the negative.

Thanks a lot,

Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A sharp cutting blue separation filter, like a 47B, will pretty much eliminate the reds as well as the greens. You can probably get about the same effect with panchromatic film as ortho with this kind of filter. One warning: skin tones get pasty.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Isn't ortho sensitive to both blue and green?
    Chazzy - you are correct. From Ilford's own info:

"ILFORD ORTHO Plus black and white copy film....The blue and green sensitivity enables the film to be handled in red safelight and allows processing by inspection."

Jim is thinking of "color blind" emulsions which are not sensitive to green or red.

Best,

C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin