Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,967   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I have ordered from Photoco in the past and not had any issues even during the Christmas Rush.

Bill
    I've had good luck ordering from Photoco. As an added bonus, I don't pay Provincial sales tax.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe my experiences were aberrations. The couple of times I ordered from Photoco, I got no confirmation e-mail and no film after ~2 weeks. My film arrived a couple of days (by express post) after leaving messages on their answering machine. The price is right, though.

sjb

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Photo Central in Winnipeg is developing an internet shopping site, it is not up and running yet.Hopefully not too long.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are temperature/x-ray scanners a problem with ordering online?

Would you guys recommend Freestyle or BH? I live in Ontario so I am thinking BH would be cheaper but I am not sure..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Ironsights View Post
    I ordered a bunch of stuff that came to about 130 bucks a while back, and paid something like 80 bucks in shipping.

When it arrived I figured out why. I had orderd 25 sheets of 16x20 kentmere paper. It came alone in a box that was about 30 by 30 inches, and 8 or more inches deep. One box of 16x20 paper, probably doubled the shipping..
    One needs to watch for that, it's called volumetric weights. Essentially a box that is 12"x12"x12" is considered about 10lbs, even if it weighs less then that. This is because vehicles used for shipping have a specific capacity, and a large container takes up more of that space.

So 30x30x8 is 7,200 cubic inches or 4.2 cubic feet so it would be considered the equivalent of 42lbs, if they shipped that air, you got a very good deal for $80. What I find for products from the US is that customs and brokerage are often the killers.

Having said that, some US companies use logistics to make shipping to Canada much cheaper. Essentially what happens is that the logistics carrier puts a whole bunch of packages in a trailer or container, they then include a list or manifest, and the whole trailer or container goes through customs as a single item, with a single brokerage fee. This means $50 for the whole trailer, which can contain hundreds of items.

Once in Canada the trailer is tendered to a courier for delivery. Most of the major couriers operating in Canada, FedEx, Purolator, UPS at least are involved in doing this. Some companies arrange with a Canadian payment processor to deal with payments, and produce a Canadian ordering site with Canadian prices. Because of volume, the delivery charges are quite reasonable. I wish that Freestyle would do this.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    I use B & H for big shipments and my local Don's in Saskatoon for the occasional roll of film, developer, fix etc. I find even with the high shipping costs it's still cheaper from B&H if you order enough. I got dinged for $60 shipping last time but I did order a 8 ft roll of seamless paper(heavy and hugh volume). But note, the seamless was something like $40 cheaper at B&H than I was quoted at Don's. Same ol' story, I want to support the local guys but the cost is a major deterrent. Colour film especially is much, much cheaper online from the States.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cost is only a factor up to a certain point...you have to keep in mind the cost of having local outlets close from lack of support, not to mention the eventual cost of a lack of diversity.

As I said earlier, even if it's a little bit more I'm always happy to pay it given a store that offers superior service.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Cost is only a factor up to a certain point...you have to keep in mind the cost of having local outlets close from lack of support, not to mention the eventual cost of a lack of diversity.

As I said earlier, even if it's a little bit more I'm always happy to pay it given a store that offers superior service.
    I agree totally Colin. But like you said "up to a point". In Saskatoon anyway, analog photography is a very small part of the "pro" shops' business by the looks of it. I will always support them with the processing but honestly, some color and slide film is twice the cost of B & H, etc. If it's a buck more, who cares? Twice the cost, I don't think so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I've had good luck ordering from Photoco. As an added bonus, I don't pay Provincial sales tax.
    I use them, but they get a bit too free with substitutions. I understand it, but they should ask first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Would it be Henry's or Visteck? Others?
    Henry's is good if your within travelling distance of one of their stores and it's convenient to go there, so their higher prices are a wash since your not paying shipping. Darkroomcentral.ca (Winnipeg, MB) and Photo-co.com (Pointe Claire, Qc) are probably better if your not near a local camera store a must order online.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin