Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,284   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Azo Paper and Developers other then Amidol

I have come upon some unopened Azo 8x10 paper ( grade 2 and grade 3 ) which I intend to use for contact printing. Realizing the mythical association between Azo and Amidol, I wonder if anyone here has experience they might share using Azo and developers OTHER then Amidol, and how such developers might compare with Amidol. Indeed, might one achieve roughly comparable results using Azo paper and other non staining developers? Thanks in advance.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I have come upon some unopened Azo 8x10 paper ( grade 2 and grade 3 ) which I intend to use for contact printing. Realizing the mythical association between Azo and Amidol, I wonder if anyone here has experience they might share using Azo and developers OTHER then Amidol, and how such developers might compare with Amidol. Indeed, might one achieve roughly comparable results using Azo paper and other non staining developers? Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Dektol will work just fine at 1:2 or 1:3.

Many developers work, but don't give just exactly the tone of Amidol.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have been using it with ansco (formulary) 130.
    have fun!

john

I proof regularly in Neutol WA 1:7 because of the manner in which it maintains acceptable tonality. Some developers including Dektol produce some unique and at times distracting print tone.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For me amidol is the only developer to use with any paper, not just Azo.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have been using it with ansco (formulary) 130.
    have fun!

john
    John: Have you had the opportunity to compare two prints of the same negative, but one made with 130 and one with Amidol?

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ed

i have never printed with amidol. i have read that others have done this comparison.
    from what i understand, some suggest the amidol prints are easier to make because of the water bath / contrast control
    and others have suggested that azo exhibits similar characteristics ( when printed with 130 / amidol ).

i guess it is kind of one of those "your actual mileage may vary" situations ...

sorry i can't be more help.

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used Dektol and Agfa Neutol WA--both nice (if you get a greenish tone, weak selenium toner should take care of it), but you might as well cut to the chase and use amidol to see what the attraction of Azo is all about.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neutol WA is very close in print tone to MAS Amidol but don't give you the same contrast control.
    Dektol and Azo is in my opinion as close to ugly as you can get that is unless you like blue and cold toned prints which i don't.

jan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Amidol will give you amazing contrast control with water bath method. You can get 2.5 grade out of 3 and 1.5 out of 2. Make almost any negative printable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin