Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,179   Online: 1165

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    You raised a couple of good points. First being my poor choice of words. Actually the Davis instrument claims accuracy 'within one degree.' All three displayed accuracy well within my humble needs.
    "Within one degree" is "+/- one degree" AFAIK.

But you are right, it's close enough for our kind of work.

For some very interesting observations on this matter and other things photograhic, go to http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri.../photogra.html . You will have to scroll down for the "Thermometers: Unreliable assistants!" It does not have a stand alone URL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Accuracy "within one degree" is just one aspect of thermometers.

What about consistency?

If the same temperature could read at 19 one day and 21 the next, accuracy is still within one degree, but consistency is poor.

On the other hand, a thermometer that constantly read three degrees high, but was constant, would be a very useful tool.

Incidentally, which degree? Within 1 degree C is 80% worse than within one degree F.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, thanks for the link. Very interesting and again points out the fact that consistency and repeatability are the keys rather than absolutes.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Accuracy "within one degree" is just one aspect of thermometers.

What about consistency?

If the same temperature could read at 19 one day and 21 the next, accuracy is still within one degree, but consistency is poor.

On the other hand, a thermometer that constantly read three degrees high, but was constant, would be a very useful tool.

Incidentally, which degree? Within 1 degree C is 80% worse than within one degree F.
    My gut sense is that liquid filled thermometers would be very repeatable. Mechanical, like the famous 3" dial on a stem thermometers, probably not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin