Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,414   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just before trying Pyrocat HD for the first time instead of my usual ABC (with HP5 8x10" in trays), is the loss of speed important with Pyrocat ? In ABC, I must rate the film at 100 to get good shadows.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jimmy, I was wondering whether you had any specific reasons, as a matter of interest, why you were moving to Pyrocat.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Roy,

I like ABC, and I have good results printing on Azo. Two reasons to try Pyrocat : 1/sometimes I have some problems with ABC (now almost solved using a slightly alkalin presoak water bath and longer presoaking times), and 2/ Pyrocat is much cheaper than ABC.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jimmy,

I have found that Pyrocat gives a little more film speed than ABC. I shot 2 sheets of BPF 200 @80, did one in ABC and one in Pyrocat. The shadows in the Pyrocat negative were denser. I don't think it was a whole step though, more like a third. I'm curious about your problems with ABC. The reason I was trying Pyrocat was a problem I was having with uneven development with ABC. I was getting a mottling in even toned areas, skies, water, etc. What problems were you having? Did any of your remedies work?

Thanks,
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have also noticed a slight speed increase with Pyrocat HD. With ABC I was rating Bergger BPF 200 at 64. I believe that 100 would be a more accurate placement of the Berrger film now (using Pyrocat HD).

I use the Photo Warehouse 125 ISO film as well now. This film to all reports seems to be the equivalent of FP4+. This film responds very well to expanded development with Pyrocat HD. It is possible to gain enough contrast (in my early experience) to have a negative that requires water bath with Amidol on grade two Azo. For development times and applicable SBR the data that Clay Harmon has posted on the Unblinkingeye.com site as it applies to Pt-pd and Pyrocat Hd is fairly accurate.

Along the lines of uneven development, I spoke with Jorge and he is using brush development for his ULF film. I have taken to doing that as well. The process is slower since a single sheet is done at a time. However the development is even. I would think that ABC could also benefit from that development method as well.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Donald, have you tried Efke PL100? If yes, have you developed any in Pyrocat HD? In ABC it's the best film I've ever used. My Azo prints from this stuff glow so much you could find them with a geiger counter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Paul,

It seems we have the same common problem. I also had precisely and clearly delimited zones in even parts of the negative, skies, water... obviously more visible on the neg's side. As said above, it has been immediately solved using a longer presoaking (3-5 minutes instead of 2 previously), and adding some Na carbonate - about 2 g, I don't precisely weigh - or metaborate in the presoak water, according to my friend's advices.

From time to time, I always got very very light streaks, but I think it's because of agitation, it should be easy to set.

Shooter
    Large Format
    C6,
    No I haven't tried that film yet, although I have heard positive reports on it. What do you rate that film at? How well does the Efke film respond to expansion? How many zones of expansion can you get before the base fog starts building? From what I hear the Efke and Classic films have more of the characteristics of the older Super XX emulsion. John at J&C said that most folks rate the Classic 200 at 80. From what I understand the 400 is nearer a TriX emulsion.

Sandy King responded to a post of mine on another forum this morning and indicated that he will be doing testing of his Pyrocat HD on the Classic 200 soon and possibly the results will be in when I get back from Colorado in a couple of weeks. I do like the Pyrocat over ABC at this point in my experience with the two developers. ABC is a good developer without a doubt but Pyrocat is equally as good with the exception of a longer developing time. The cost is less then ABC.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah...and no streaks on the negative....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pyrocat HD will be the next thing I try. I rate both JandC Classic 200 and Efke PL100 at 50. I'll bet once you try Efke you'll never go back.

You can get at least N+3 with PL100 before the highlights plug and fog buildup becomes a problem. With JandC I find the shoulder really flattens out at N+2 which is the absolute maximum I can get out of it.

I like JandC a lot, but I like Efke so much more that it's now all I buy from 120 rollfilm right on up through 8 x 10. I don't know about availability in larger sizes.

I like ABC a lot, too. Maybe I'll have the same epiphany with Pyrocat that I did with the film.

Everything else being equal, JandC fogs a lot more in ABC that Efke 100 does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin