Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,418   Online: 1202

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Possible daft question - is it possible to use the in-camera metering of a Pentax 67II with the Heliopan RG695 filter or would I have to use a handheld meter?

Cheers,
    Gavin
    I jotted down some notes from this forum when I was researching all the new IR films and possible filters to use.

With Rollei IR 400 and the 092/ RG695/ 89B filters, I have a suggested EI of 12-15. My own method is to enter this ISO into my handheld meter and work from there.

For a dev time I've written Rollei IR 400 - 12 mins 20 degress Rodinal 1+50. I'll be trying this as soon as my filter arrives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More questions...!

Is the filter factor of a Heliopan 695 (wratten 89b equivalent) 5 stops?

Thanks,
    Gavin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It depends. How's that for an answer? Some people like the effect of 5 stops, others 6, some 7. Some shoot ISO 3, others ISO 6, etc. Your best bet is to get a starting point (select your ISO, filter, and starting exposure) and bracket up and down to test out how your camera, film and filter work together.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    More questions...!

Is the filter factor of a Heliopan 695 (wratten 89b equivalent) 5 stops?

Thanks,
    Gavin
    It's about 4 stops but as stated above, increase your exposure. It's expensive film to bracket unfortunately, but IR is unpredictable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Did I miss the part where the type of film was mentioned? Are we talking Rollei, Efke SFX200 or HIE? All are going to expose differently through cutoff filters depending on their sensitivity... The Efke 820IR I'm shooting at ASA1, and developing in TmaxRS at standard Tmax100 time. 072 filter. That gives me an outdoor, bright sun exposure around 2 to 4 seconds at f8 or f11. I never bothered to shoot HIE through a cutoff filter because a 29 plus polarizer gave me all the contrast I wanted. I have samples of the efke at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafphoto/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Do remember if you are using in camera metering that the metering is not calibrated for how you are shooting, an IR film with an IR filter. The camera meter is setup for more normal full spectrum lights and you are cutting most of that out with your filter, right?

As Schafphoto points out the different IR films will respond widely to how much of the light your camera meter sees is IR as you are blocking most of the visible light from the film as you use the IR filter.

If you use tungsten lights most of what you have is IR light, if you light and meter with florescent it will be very different. So what you will most likely need to do is to calibrate your film, filter, and meter to a given situation - such as full sun - and work from there.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin