Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,931   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

infrared filters

I'm looking for a square filter to fit the Lee filter system that is the equivalent filtration of the Hoya 72 filter (I think the Hoya is the equivalent of a Wratten 89b?) Is the Cokin Z - 007 equivalent to an 89b (or even a Hoya 72 ), and does it fit the Lee system?

Help...!

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Gavin,

I had been searching for a while to get a 100x100mm IR filter. The filter available to us in the UK is the Cokin Z007 which is a 72. Lee only do an 87 as I'm sure you are already aware.

The 100x100mm Cokin Z007 is expensive, so I decided to buy a 67mm Heliopan RG695 which was about the same price from Teamwork. I was able to pick up a Hass. bay60 - 67mm adaptor for nothing on feeBay. I'm sure the Heliopan will last longer than a Cokin resin filter plus I'm getting the Schott glass.

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.p...403f99272992e1

The Kodak Wratten 89B 100mm (4in) resin filter is not available in the UK, so you would need to spend $100 plus postage and customs VAT to get that!

Here is a chart which plots all the IR filters:

http://www.eazypix.de/ir/filter/filter.html

all the best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for this, very helpful.

Think I'll go down the same route as you and get a Heliopan and stepping ring. Still not cheap though...!

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One drawback though is that I can't use my lens hood at the end of the 67mm. I've never heard of a 67mm - bay60 adaptor ring.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wish filter manufacturers would standardize the names and numbers of their products
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    I wish filter manufacturers would standardize the names and numbers of their products
    I was trying to think of reasons, from patents to trademarks but it doesn't explain why they are not named after their wavelength. Each company has to have a numbering system which is consistent with the rest of their products.

It appears to be down to my original opinion that it was due to the results of the technicians who produce the filters for each manufacturer...their idea of a wratten 81B is this result. So to avoid confusion they give it a new name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wratten_number
    Last edited by Gary Holliday; 04-08-2008 at 11:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Possible daft question - is it possible to use the in-camera metering of a Pentax 67II with the Heliopan RG695 filter or would I have to use a handheld meter?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No...to use your in-camera meter,you'll have to meter at an ISO of 3 or 6 (or whatever your preference is), then put the filter on and shoot. Others read their meters at an ISO of 400 (200, 100, etc.) and open up to compensate. Use a tripod because you'll end up with a longer exposure than can be done handheld usually.
    Last edited by Shmoo; 04-13-2008 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: re-read the question...duh.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Possible daft question - is it possible to use the in-camera metering of a Pentax 67II with the Heliopan RG695 filter or would I have to use a handheld meter?
    don't know - but I use the in-camera meter on a Bessa-L (and -T, too) with that filter. Setting the EI to 320 gives good exposure on Rollei IR 400.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Wratten 89B gel in a Lee gel filter frame.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin