Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,649   Posts: 1,623,489   Online: 960

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

Thread: Airport X-ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I would like to take along some chemicals in power form, but am reluctant to do so. How do explain three or four bottles of white powder and a chemical scale to the police or baggage inspector?
    Tell them it's to develop the pictures that you intend to take of bridges, airports, train stations, and government buildings.
    Let us know what they say...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you'd be better off with small, factory bottles of developer, say HC110 or Rodinal and fix, in a checked bag. Leave the mix by scratch thing for working from home.

But if you really want to travel with little bottles of misc. white powders, be my guest.

Note also, that there are restrictions on what chemicals dry or wet can be shipped or carried by air, and you probably want to do some checking. One easy, though not definitive method is to select candidate products on a site like Freestyle's or B&H's and see if you can select air shipment, or not. B&H might work especially well for this since they pretty much don't ship stuff that has any sort of restrictions.
    Last edited by bdial; 04-07-2008 at 07:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    We just have to hope that at least one Congressman is a shutterbug.
    Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont is a good photographer and has had some of his photos exhibited. I missed his show at the Vermont Center for Photography. Mostly snapshots of goverment officials (often behind the scenes and therefore more interesting) and of his travels. I am not sure if he is now using digital or is still doing "analog photography".

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had 1600ASA (colour print) film X-rayed three times without problems. Most other films (FP4+, HP5+, Acros 100, T-Max, XP2, even Scala - once! & E-6 transparencies) go out and back through hand-baggage scanners quite routinely now. I've never had any trouble - except when I once asked for hand inspection here in the UK and they got rather formal with me!

I keep a spreadsheet for my film stocks and will go up to 6 scans for anything up to 400ASA. When I went to China, some films had more X-rays than the 6 I had allowed, including some 800ASA Fuji print film - in fact, some even went through a checked baggage scanner at one point at a provincial airport (but I was lucky, I don't think it was actually working!) No problems at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd suggest to carry a changing bag too, so if they feel the need to open the film boxes or holders they can do so without racing light.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently going through LA I had just purchased 10 rolls of 120, and I asked for a hand check of that film, and was granted it with no problem whatsoever. It was fairly slow at the time though. I generally put my film through the carry-on scanner routinely but I'm going to be storing this batch for a while and wanted to avoid a round through the x-ray right off the bat.

FWIW, Senator Leahy has a piece up in the current show at Vermont Center for Photography.

Incidentally, does anyone have any experience with IR films and carry-on x-ray scanners? It seems that it might not be a problem since, in theory, the sensitivity is at opposite ends of the spectrum, but a guy at Freestyle insisted that it must not get x-rayed. The closest TSA seems to come in discussing it is "Highly sensitive X-ray, medical or scientific films". I suppose it would qualify there.
    Any opinions, facts, thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Incidentally, does anyone have any experience with IR films and carry-on x-ray scanners? It seems that it might not be a problem since, in theory, the sensitivity is at opposite ends of the spectrum, but a guy at Freestyle insisted that it must not get x-rayed. The closest TSA seems to come in discussing it is "Highly sensitive X-ray, medical or scientific films". I suppose it would qualify there.
    Any opinions, facts, thoughts?
    Only Ilford SFX - I've had that go through carry-on scanners (twice) without problems. It should be more sensitive than normal film, since the energy available to expose it is lower than for visible light, which is filtered out. I think the bottom line is that the quantum efficiency of the carry-on scanner CCD detectors is very high and so film exposure is correspondingly minimal. Of course, avoid shielding the film with anything, or else you risk the scanner automatically ramping up the accelerating potential, increasing the energy of the X-ray to penetrate and ultimately (perhaps) trashing your film. Depends on the configuration of their set-up and the absorption edge of the shielding material.

Peter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin