Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,478   Online: 841

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Airport X-ray

Shooter
    35mm
    I have twice had bags pilfered from, not inspected, but pilfered from, somewhere between when it rolled up the conveyor, and when it slid down the chute at my destination. Pathetic really, and makes one wonder about all the so called "security" when the people actually handling the baggage can rifle through it, and steal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Indeed. If they can take something out of checked baggage, they can put something in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I have twice had bags pilfered from, not inspected, but pilfered from, somewhere between when it rolled up the conveyor, and when it slid down the chute at my destination. Pathetic really, and makes one wonder about all the so called "security" when the people actually handling the baggage can rifle through it, and steal.
    That is the one thing I worry about on every trip I take. I don't carry anything expensive in my luggage, but I do carry a tripod. If that should come up missing, I would be in a world of hurt.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    That is the one thing I worry about on every trip I take. I don't carry anything expensive in my luggage, but I do carry a tripod. If that should come up missing, I would be in a world of hurt.
    I have had things taken from my checked luggage - particularly after 9/11 when the TSA decided that we could no longer lock our checked bags. But nothing as large as a tripod - in fact, I've put my tripod in my checked luggage on many occasions and not had a problem yet. I suspect that various crooked screeners steal only what they can secrete on their persons. Just an opinion, though.
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones
    I have had things taken from my checked luggage - particularly after 9/11 when the TSA decided that we could no longer lock our checked bags. But nothing as large as a tripod - in fact, I've put my tripod in my checked luggage on many occasions and not had a problem yet. I suspect that various crooked screeners steal only what they can secrete on their persons. Just an opinion, though.
    I'm sure you are correct. A baggage screener (or other person) carrying a big tripod around an airport would probably raise suspicion. Most of my traveling is international, and I've always wondered if, for example, Australian customs can open the TSA locks. Do you know if the TSA has shared this with other countries?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Do you know if the TSA has shared this with other countries?
    No, I don't know. I bought a couple of the 'TSA-approved' locks right after they came out - they cut them anyway (sigh). It was not long afterwards that my declining health (6 days a week on the road for 7 years is bad for you, who knew?) and the TSA nonsense conspired to make me quit my road-warrior job in exchange for the old nine-to-five.

My information is therefore at least two-years out-of-date now. I'm sorry!
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I always check my tripod. I don't see a tripod as something that is likely to be stolen. The thief has to be able to recognize the few expensive tripods in a sea of ordinary ones, and they have to be able to carry it out. It's much easier to steal and fence clean-looking laptops and such.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had very few problems with TSA, though I may be somewhat spoiled by being in DC - I suspect we get a higher quality of inspector. What little trouble I have had has been in smaller airports. I had one inspector who asked if I had 800 speed film when I asked for hand-inspection. I said I had 3200, but he had some trouble understanding that meant that hand inspection was required. I chalk that one up to simple ignorance. Another tried to persuade me that hand-inspection was not necessary, but reference to the roll of Delta 3200 that always goes with me solved that. The first time I travelled with sheet film I kept it in the holders and carried two severly expired sheets (from the 40s) along as examples. Had a nice conversation with the inspectors, who accepted a sheet to use as a training tool for new inspectors.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    The first time I travelled with sheet film I kept it in the holders and carried two severly expired sheets (from the 40s) along as examples. Had a nice conversation with the inspectors, who accepted a sheet to use as a training tool for new inspectors.
    Not a bad idea, I'll have to try it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few months ago I flew to and from the Redding CA airport. It's really, really small. The TSA guys were most kind when I asked for hand inspection of film. They took my baggie of exposed 120, looked it over, and put it on a table. I then asked if they wouldn't mind hand checking my film maazines (Hassy). They took them, looked them over, and placed them on the table. Then I put my bag through the machine. Both TSA guys were scrutinizing the machine's screen and whispering. As I picked up the bag one of them asked if I had a Mamiya or Contax 645. When I said "Hassy" they looked at the image again and asked "500 series?" It helps to have a knowledgable TSA person!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin