Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,118   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Fix Times for EMAKs Fiber

I am trying out new paper, Fotokemika, EMAKS graded fiber. I like the rich blacks and brilliant midtones.

Fotokemika's limited instructions mentions a fix time of 4-6 min with efke FF-1, a rapid fix.

I use TF-4 (film strength) and toss the fix after 10 to 12 8x10s. To accommodate EMAKS I increased my normal 60s fix routine to 120s. The 120s is well short of the manufactures recommended times.

I process to archival standards using Ilford's archival fix/wash recommendations. The Fotokemika's recommended long fix times allow the paper to absorb fixer. On the other hand I have a real potential to underfix. How can I determine if I underfix? Any recommendations concerning processing this paper?
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Fotokemika's limited instructions mentions a fix time of 4-6 min with efke FF-1, a rapid fix.

I use TF-4 (film strength) and toss the fix after 10 to 12 8x10s. To accommodate EMAKS I increased my normal 60s fix routine to 120s. The 120s is well short of the manufactures recommended times.
    Hi Richard,

I don't know about FF1 but for FF2 rapid fixer Fotokemika recommend 3-5 min fix time. I guess FFs are just not rapid as Ilford or Kodak. :-)
    Use your usual TF4 time like for the rest of the paper you use.

Pozdrav,
    Zvonimir

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Oops, the rapid fix I intended to reference was efke FF-2, 4 - 6 min fix time for this paper. FF-1 is a slower acid fix.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried out Emaks Grade 4 fiber, and I used my TF-4 (paper strength) for 1 minute (as directed on the bottle)...as I do for all papers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The prints I processed have no evidence of incomplete fixation but then what will they look like in the future. I know some papers take longer to fix. I hate to over fix. I guess to be safe one would use a similar fix for the recommended time and test the paper for fix retention after the wash.

How can you determine if you underfix paper?
    RJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    AN inexpensive pH pen from Light Impressions will give you an indication of acidity in the paper, but will not give an indication of by products of thiosulfate remaining after washing. There is a test for this, but it is out of my mind at themoment.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There is a test kit one can order to test paper for fix retention.

TF-4 is a fast acting fix. With my low through-put before I discard the fix solution I am well short of overusing the fix.

Of course it is easy to see a gross underfix situation. How would one tell if your paper is slightly underfixed to the point print quality is affected in 1 or 2 years?
    RJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I always use a two-bath fixing procedure -- first one is "normal" fixer (Kodak or Zone VI) and the second is plain Hypo. The first one goes for 8 mins and the second one for 8. I just use the maximum time called for in the instructions for the fixer itself, not the paper.

A two-bath fixing solution is generally preferred for archival processing and it's the safest way to guarantee complete fixing.

Great paper, by the way! Love it!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, just call the Formulary and speak to them about your worries with TF-4...they'll be glad to help you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTES=Richard Jepsen;614186]
    "There is a test kit one can order to test paper for fix retention."

The residual silver and fixer tests. Both are based upon the
    formation of a silver sulfide stain. Either test, if no stain all
    is OK.

For residual silver in the emulsion a very dilute solution of
    sodium sulfide is applied drop-wise; the ST-1 test. Just the
    revers for residual hypo. Apply drop-wise a very dilute
    solution of silver nitrate; the HT-2 residual hypo test.

Both test are detailed at www.unblinkingeye.com .

"TF-4 is a fast acting fix. With my low through-put before
    I discard the fix solution I am well short of overusing the fix."

On a liter basis at film strength, VERY well short of over using.
    The Ilford 5-10-5 sequence with it's 1 minute fix is the QUICKEST
    way to a well processed print. Ilford highly recommends the
    two bath method. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin