Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,322   Online: 800

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Developing in Urine

I am guessing the subject line caught everyone's eye.

My wife was at a film archives conference recently in NYC and one of the books she brought back was a collection of reproductions from newsletters published by what you might call "alternative" filmmakers (motion picture). One of these articles described a method of developing 16mm b&w motion picture stock in urine. Well, to be precise, in D-19 and urine - it was the same method of mixing except instead of water, one used urine.

The author recommended using urine collected the morning after an evening of drinking (perhaps this calls for a new kind of photographic outing, followed by a darkroom session). The author claimed that the film came out pretty much the same as with regular D-19 and water, but with an additional ... "sparkle." Somethign to do with pH.

The part that truly grossed me out was heating up the urine on the stove to the correct temperature for mixing in the D-19. I suggest you do it outside or, at the very least, don't do it in my kitchen.

I think that this formula should be called P-19.

I swear to you that this is true and will send scans of the article to whomever wants to read it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think I just threw up......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    I think I just threw up......
    I don't think you can develop anything in vomit, but I am not a chemist.

Images
    Well, it is sterile when it comes out.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought D-76 smelled a bit like urine when I was mixing it up for the first time last week...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sort of thing seems to come up on a regular basis...

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/figsonly/172/8/1002

And when you say the images have that extra "sparkle" are you sure it shouldn't be "sprinkle"?
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    I think that this formula should be called P-19.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Grant Haist's book "Modern Photographic Processing" he describes the use of both urine and wine alone for development. I guess using the combination of urine after drinking wine is not so far fetched or such a stretch as the tannins would pass through the body to a certain extend, and the byproducts of metabolism are related to developing agents.

I wonder if mouse urine would work. We have had a persistant family of mice digging under the porch. I plugged the hole with concrete the other day and found the day after that the mouse, in his frustration, had left claw marks on the concrete and then had urinated on it. There were visible claw marks and 2 or 3 small yellow puddles on top of the new concrete. Should I collect a sample? Squirrel urine would probably be better due to their diet of acorns. All of the tannins would be great.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Never mind the mice---find a horse....it seems that horse urine contains catechol (ok, so does human urine) with the added benefit that you can make a batch large enough for deep-tank 8x10 processing with just one go.

Gonna need a lot of wine and some oats, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but if you process important film in this type of developer and it doesn't come out ... well, then urine trouble!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin