Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,009   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

International shipping and X-Ray Damage

I just read the thread about "X-Ray Damage" and I'm wondering what will happen to film material when I buy some in the US and let is ship to the Netherlands? More generally, how is packed film handled?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has been handled here before and a lot of specualation was done concerning x-raying at logistic services, but to my understanding with no clear outcome. Which is not surprising as this is a security related matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I mailed my stow of film to America last year (I followed it on a plane the next week), I just wrote in big letters, "PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM - DO NOT X-RAY"
    I have absolutely no idea if it made any difference, but my film isn't fogged at all now I've gotten around to developing it, and it's been mailed both ways.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fedex cannot promise anything either

I made an enquiry about sending exposed film by courier - Fedex and some other international one and they both gave the same answer: they had no control over customs and excise who pull items from their consigments at random and xray it, get a dog to sniff it etc...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by apochromatic View Post
    Fedex and some other international ... had no control over customs and excise who pull items from their consigments at random and xray it, ...
    In that case, labeling your package as "FILM, DO NOT X-RAY" might actually induce one. It'd be like declaring "There's no bomb in this box..." May be just send it unmarked and hope to be the 90% that don't get x-rayed.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I once asked a question on this forum about what kind of lead bag to use. Then after carefully planning how to safely get my film through the Tijuana airport, I completely forgot and let my bag go through the x ray. (I thought the film was in a different bag) I yelled stop, so the x ray tech stopped the machine, giving my film an even longer time under the rays. I was carrying about 6 rolls of Delta 3200 in 120 all shot at 1600 ISO. I developed with HC110 dil b, as it's supposed to be good for fog. They all came out fine, you could see the fog creeping up on the edge but it didn't enter the image. So if you do let your high speed film get x rayed try HC110 (although silvergrain claims it's good for nothing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Factories ship film material worldwide. How do they do, illegal :-)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They most probably use containers sealed at the plant by a customs officer.
    Or something like that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the late eighties we were using so much paper and film we were getting it direct from the container which had come straight from the dock. We had a Kodak employee with us to check the stock, other than that we unloaded it ourselves.

The 6' wide rolls of colour paper came in a metal container that looked like a smallish coffin. They held five rolls of paper and required a fork lift to move them. They were locked and had seals in strategic places.

Film was another matter, we used 48" wide roll film for our big graphic cameras, five or so that size, but the rest all used 24" or 12" wide rolls. These films also came in coffin like containers which were sized accordingly to the film sizes. Two people could just lift the 12" wide roll coffin.

With roll film, which we purchased by the pallet load, it sometimes came in a small airfreight container, which is about the size of a normal dumpster bin seen around the world. I know that this stuff had special customs clearance at either end, it was sealed as well.

Things have changed a lot since then, but I would assume with sensitive materials most large manufacturers, and there are only three left, would have some kind of system with the authorities for getting sensitive material delivered.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about the film shipped from online shops like adorama, bhphoto and freestyle? These are ordinary cartons shipped by UPS, FedEx or the post office. They are not even marked special in any way, nor any indication of film inside. Are these also X-rayed at airports where they are shipped? If so, why aren't the shops saying anything about X-ray damage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin