Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,579   Online: 878

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    There is this to remember: some time back then, film speed ratings changed from ASA to ISO which about doubled box speeds by taking away the shadow allowance. I bypassed that allowance sometime in the 40's by measuring the shadows I wanted to keep with my meter set for 10x box speed. Now I use 4x. The same film that said 50 on the box was suddenly 125. My inclination would be to try setting my meter at 500 for Plus-X and metering the shadows. I mean the really shadowy shadows. Minimum correct exposure usually improves grain.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Picked up 9x12 Tri-X pack film for my Voigtlander Avus, and am excited and nervous to try it, as the pack says develop before 1966!
    I have HC110 in the basement, would that be a good developer to start with? I am thinking of rating at 100 ASA and see how that goes. Any other suggestions? I have never developed or shot film this old so feel like a complete novice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got 0.33 B+F and EI 100 from 4x5 Tri-X expired 05/1985 that I shot and developed in D-76 1:1 for my standard time (13 min tray) this summer. I got a normal 0.62 Contrast Index. So your plan to shoot at 100 sounds fine.
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 12-01-2011 at 07:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way to test this film is to shoot one exposure and then take the film int the darkroom and "rob" the pack of the one exposure and develop it and see if you are satisfied with the results. If there was instructions in the pack it should explain how to remove the exposed sheet of film for development. I have shot tri-x in film packs that expired in the 70s and some came out remarkably well and others were fogged. It all depends on how it has been stored in the last 40 or 50 years. I usually use D76 or HC110 and rate the film at 100ASA.

Regards
    Gord

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin