Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,487   Online: 968

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Anybody tried the warmtone paper and developer and then toned with selenium? I'm only short the developer to try it myself.
    KRST will brown it up and the Harmon selenium even more so...EC

I too get fairly warm tones with Ilford Warmtone fibre gloss paper in Harman warmtone developer at 1+9, at around 23-24C. But I give it a full 3 minutes.
    Unlike Suzanne Revy I find the developer does make a difference. Prints developed in Neutol WA are noticably less warm, and this difference is exaggerated when toned in Selenium. The Harman WT prints go a warm plummy colour and the Neutol WA prints go a coolish purple. I use either of these to suit what I have in mind for each print.
    My preference is to pull the prints as soon as I see an increase in contrast and a change of image colour, as I prefer prints with just a hint of colour.
    I always use selenium on Ilford Warmtone paper. It really enriches the print. Not sure if Dmax actually increases but the shadows certainly darken down, increasing contrast and making the highlights sing out.

I make most of my prints using this combo.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I too get fairly warm tones with Ilford Warmtone fibre gloss paper in Harman warmtone developer at 1+9, at around 23-24C. But I give it a full 3 minutes.
    Unlike Suzanne Revy I find the developer does make a difference. Prints developed in Neutol WA are noticably less warm, and this difference is exaggerated when toned in Selenium. The Harman WT prints go a warm plummy colour and the Neutol WA prints go a coolish purple. I use either of these to suit what I have in mind for each print.
    My preference is to pull the prints as soon as I see an increase in contrast and a change of image colour, as I prefer prints with just a hint of colour.
    I always use selenium on Ilford Warmtone paper. It really enriches the print. Not sure if Dmax actually increases but the shadows certainly darken down, increasing contrast and making the highlights sing out.

I make most of my prints using this combo.

Alan Clark
    Interesting.. I haven't used Neutol WA with this paper. There is a difference between developers, but it looks so minor to me, that it doesn't change the effect I am after for my prints, and they are pretty consistent.

I wonder if I would see a greater difference at a warmer temp. I tend to keep my printing chemistry to 68F (20C). Thoughts?

Suzanne,

I'm not sure if a warmer temperature will give warmer tones. To reduce variables I always dilute Harman Warmtone and Neutol WA to 1+9, and always use them at 23-24 C. This gives me the effects that I like. If you like your results don't change anything!
    But you might give Neutol WA a try with Ilford WT paper.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When I finally got my hands on the new Ilford developers last year I did a set of 'tests' and found that warmtone paper in warmtone developer then into selenium looks exactly the same as warmtone paper in multigrade developer then into selenium. With my selenium at 1+9 and at 1+5. Sorry didn't try it at different temperatures. No question that the paper needs 3 minutes in the warmtone developer, 2 minutes and it wasn't there but 5 minutes made no extra difference at all. Untoned, yes, side by side I can tell the difference between the warmtone and multigrade developer but they have to be side by side...

Hywel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a very timely conversation, I've got prints in Ilford WT fibre-base, developed in the Ilford WT developer 1:9.
    I really like the look, warm and creamy but still subtlely so.

I have some of the Harman/Ilford Selenium toner, and have been meaning to give it a try and see for myself...many thanks for the info and suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin