Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,852   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HC110: How many films can I develop?

I've been thinking of starting doing the developing part in my bathroom instead of the University's darkroom as I am doing currently. I have ordered most of the things I need and will find solutions for the rest of them.

I use HC110 until now, for all of my developing and intend to keep it that way, so I can become familiar with the developer/films combination. I use dilution B straight from syrup [16 ml syrup & fill until the graduate reaches 500ml], although I am not sure if it's the "european version" or not I am using. I mostly mix 500 ml or a liter for developing film, and throw away after I'm done with all the films -- usually two or three, each film developed on it's own or in pairs. I develop at 20o c, and the results have been fairly consistent so far.

What I want to ask is: how many films can I develop using 500 ml of this dilution or 1000 ml? I could try and find for myself, but will not for the obvious reason Do I have to make up for using it for more than one film somehow, like adding some time to the development of films after the first one? And lastly, are plastic bottles OK for the storage of HC110 if the air is taken out of them?

Thanks,
    -Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    4 rolls of 36 frame 35mm film per 500ml of working strength dilution B is approx the kodak figures which are probably conservative.

Best read up from the HC110 data sheet from the kodak website which also gives replenishment required if thats the route you really want to take. Most people use it one shot for consistency and keeping properties of working strength solution are poor.

If your bottle is 1 litre size then it will be full strength. If its 500ml then it may be weaker european mix which is not very syrupy by comparison.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....7.22.14&lc=en

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out the massive dev chart. You'll find all your answers here. (oooooooohh!)

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sino View Post
    I've been thinking of starting doing the developing part in my bathroom instead of the University's darkroom as I am doing currently. I have ordered most of the things I need and will find solutions for the rest of them.

I use HC110 until now, for all of my developing and intend to keep it that way, so I can become familiar with the developer/films combination. I use dilution B straight from syrup [16 ml syrup & fill until the graduate reaches 500ml], although I am not sure if it's the "european version" or not I am using. I mostly mix 500 ml or a liter for developing film, and throw away after I'm done with all the films -- usually two or three, each film developed on it's own or in pairs. I develop at 20o c, and the results have been fairly consistent so far.

What I want to ask is: how many films can I develop using 500 ml of this dilution or 1000 ml? I could try and find for myself, but will not for the obvious reason Do I have to make up for using it for more than one film somehow, like adding some time to the development of films after the first one? And lastly, are plastic bottles OK for the storage of HC110 if the air is taken out of them?

Thanks,
    -Sino.
    Hi Sino,
    Film...fairly cheap, chemistry...cheap, a wonderful photograph...priceless. Use fresh chemistry..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Rob. Any idea if I need to compensate for developing more than one film in the same solution by lengthening development times?

Evan, film and chemistry are definitely not cheap were I live.

-Sino.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should only mix what you are ready to use within a few hours at most. Don't mix up more than you need at the time. Also, just use it one shot and discard - it is cheap. The only compensation you need for more than one film at a time is to make sure there is enough dev in the tank to cover all the films. The dev time is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Kevin.

-Sino.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi, Sino.

Another way of making the developer go farther, without compromising on image quality, is to use the unofficial Dilution H, or 1:63. Roughly 8ml in 500. You develop one film in this volume and discard. Development time is double that for dilution B as a starting point.

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I haven't tried replenishment, but there is a simpler method and that is to use the developer at 1+49 dilution which then only handles 2 films in 500ml with a little room for margin of error. It also lengthens the development time which is better for inversion tank processing as some films have very short dev times in 1+31 dilution. And you just throw the dev when done with no worries about development time adjustment for a second batch of films or replenishment amounts.
    The 1 litre bottles are far cheaper to use than the european strength 500ml bottles when you work it out.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin