Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,039   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kentmere Fineprint VC

I'm printing a series of pictures for a specific purpose and I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to "audition" a new FB paper, Kentmere Fineprint VC. It's a nice paper, and certainly offers a lot of speed compared to the warmtone papers I've gotten accustomed to.

After a few seenium toning experiments, I think I've hit on a workable recipe: five minutes in 1:10 Harman Selenium. Much of the toning effect washes away but the end result is free of the slight green cast that I don't care for.

As nice as the Kentmere paper is, the neutral image tone reminds me that I still prefer the print color of warmer papers. I was a confirmed Agfa MC user and I anxiously await the availability of the new paper from Adox.

There is one thing about this Kentmere paper that is unique in my experience: I've never had a FB paper dry this flat before! I dry my FB prints on screens with a nearby fan keeping the air moving. I'm used to taking dry prints off the screens and having the prints resemble potato chips in terms of flatness. I've become resigned to using a dry mount press to flatten all my FB prints.

Well, I really don't think I need to flatten these Kentmere 11x14's. I've put the prints under a steel plate for now, and I think they're essentially ready for framing (except for spotting).

So, although the print color isn't precisely to my liking, the inherent flatness of the Kentmere paper has eliminated one tedious step from my FB printing regimen. In that regard, it reminds me of my first tests of the Agfa MCC, which I found to be the first paper whose color I liked so much that I didn't need to tone it!

Gary,

East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's an interesting observation and a quality of the Kentmere papers that are completely in line with my experience too. Breaking the sheets out of the box, however, they were very warped and actually difficult to get into the 4-blade easel paper slot. But who cares, that only takes a couple of seconds extra.
    The paper you tried is a really good one. It took me some time to get used to using it, but I like the results I get now a lot. Very crisp in its tone, the look is very 'distinct' I think. Great deep 'weighty' blacks and a nice spread of mid-tones.
    Their graded papers, the 'Bromide' series, is also something really nice. Very neutral tone, and a fantastic tonal scale.

I'm very happy for you that you like the paper.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered that paper a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Its nice for people who leave their opions on certain types and makes of paper. I sure enjoy being a APUG member

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is a warmtone version of the same paper. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), it is only available in Finegrain semi-matt surface, not glossy. Even so, it is a good paper, and just as fast as the neutral tone base.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I ended my stock of old Agfa MCC and while waiting for the new MCC by Adox I decided to give a run to this one, expecially attracted by the good price.

I can confirm your opinion: it's a really beautifull paper - very neutral tones, deep as expected blacks and with very brilliant white (the support is brighter than old MCC).
    Since few days I have the samples of the new Adox MCC from Fotoimpex, I'm waiting for the right moment to run a comparison test.

Elia

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kentmere FP VC and Ansco 130 is a marriage made in heaven.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried out Fineprint VC about 6 months ago and I love printing with it. I get good results with Dektol 1+3 and I am happy.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    It is interesting that Simon Galley of Ilford started a thread a good number of months ago about trying to produce FB which dried flat or relatively so compared to its current FB. This was way before it took over Kentmere. Now that it has and has access to all Kentmere's secrets, including its remarkably flat paper, I wonder if this will help Ilford with its project to produce flatter Ilford FB or simply cause it to drop the idea because it can now offer paper that is fairly flat. It might be that pursuing even flatter Kentmere paper might be the way to go.

An update on Ilford's project would be helpful. If not now, then I have a feeling that information may be pursued at the very frank and open Q&A that Ilford grants the group on the Ilford tour.

It's a great WYSIWYG tour undertaken by refreshingly WYSIWYG people.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Eric said:

"Kentmere FP VC and Ansco 130 is a marriage made in heaven."

I'm using the Photographer's Formulary 130 - I've assumed it's essentially the same formula as Ansco 130, is that correct?

Gary

East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't actually know if it's the same as the original Ansco 130 formula, but I do know it's excellent stuff. It's my standard paper developer, and I'm trying to develop film in it too.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    Eric said:

"Kentmere FP VC and Ansco 130 is a marriage made in heaven."

I'm using the Photographer's Formulary 130 - I've assumed it's essentially the same formula as Ansco 130, is that correct?

Gary

East Snook, TX
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin