Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,550   Posts: 1,599,039   Online: 749

Shooter
    35mm RF

HC 110 dil B formula for 500 mL tank?

Hi,

I just bought steel reels for 35mm and a tank, all generic brand, and it looks like the tank requires about 500mL of liquid to fill it.

According to the unofficial hc 110 page, you need 15mL of syrup for a 480mL tank making dilution B.

If the ratio is 1:31, that means I multiply 15 x 31 for the amount of water?

thanks,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is how I approach this:

1) put empty reels into tank;
    2) fill tank with water, making sure that water covers reels well, with some room to spare, but that there is at least some air above the water and below the lid;
    3) pour the water into a graduated cylinder and measure the volume. If it is something like 473 ml, round it up slightly to a convenient even amount - say 480ml. This is the target total volume of all your working solutions;
    4) divide the target total volume by 32 (for dilution B). The resulting number is the amount of concentrate to use. For the example where 480 ml is the total volume, the correct volume of concentrate is 15 m.

To actually mix your working solution, you need a small syringe or measuring cylinder that permits accurately measuring 15 ml of concentrate (using the example figures). You also need a measuring beaker or cup that permits reasonably accurate measurement of 480 ml (using the example figures) of working solution. Finally, you need about 500 ml of the water you intend to dilute the concentrate with, to make the working developer. I usually like to use water that is at or slightly above the temperature I intend to develop the film at.

To actually mix the working developer, I:
    a) measure the concentrate in the appropriate measuring cylinder, syringe or whatever (in the example - 15 ml);
    b) pour that concentrate into the larger mixing beaker;
    c) rinse the measuring cylinder or syringe into my mixing beaker using several small amounts of the water I am diluting the developer with, until all of the concentrate has been rinsed into the larger beaker;
    d) add enough additional water to bring the total volume of the concentrate and water to the target total volume (480 ml - using the example).

In short, I measure the concentrate accurately, and the concentrate plus diluting water accurately. If I've done it right, I should have a little water left over, which I discard or save for another step.

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S. it really helps if you can record somewhere what the total volume of the working solution is. Ideally, you should write it on the outside of the tank itself, with some sort of indelible ink.
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-09-2008 at 10:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: remember to write down the volume

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use a baby medicine syringe from Walgreen's for a couple bucks to measure the HC110.

Put about 300ML of water in your beaker, add the 15ML HC110, then add enough water to make 500ML. Easy to measure. Yes, you will pour a tiny bit down the drain.

Shoot one zone VIII negative at the end of a couple rolls to fine tune your development time and be good to go. More time shooting, less time with the calculator.

Mike

Images
    And if you calculate it out, you will find that if you put 15.625 ml of HC110 stock in a 500 ml graduated cylinger and fill with analytical grade water exactly to 500 ml, you will get exactly the same result as if you had measured 1/2 tablespoon into a common kitchen 16 ounce kitchen measuring cup. If your drinking water has a lot of chlorine, use store bought water or heat the tap water and let it stand a while. HC110 is pretty tolerant of hard water.

I admit measuring spoons are a little sloppy, and I use the syringes you can get at most druggists for measuring small amounts of medicine. They look like hypodermic syringes. The come with a stopper that allows you to use the whole assembly as a stopper that will fit most narrow mouthed bottles. I happen to have a few 750 ml bottles of that description that work quite well after they have served their primary purpose.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks for the great instructions everyone. I tested it and indeed it fills to about 470 so 480 will fit in there I'm sure.

now my only challenge is learning how to load steel reels ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin