Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,595   Posts: 1,622,348   Online: 958

Thread: 4x6 wood pieces

Shooter
    35mm

4x6 wood pieces

Does anyone know of a source for some thin, pre-cut 4x6" pieces of wood, maybe 1/4" thick? I'm planning to do a 13-photo set for each of my kids, mount them on a wood piece, and then assemble them into a collage of some sort for a mother's day present for my wife.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know of anyone who offers precut pieces, but I do know that most hardwood suppliers offer 1/4" thick woods in various species - walnut, maple, mahogany, and even some exotics. And you can get 1/4" oak and poplar at Home Despot.

Sounds like you need to find a woodworker who can cut the material to your specifications.

One minor concern - mounting prints directly to wood is supposedly not archival. (I say "supposedly" because I have a print here in my study that I mounted to a piece of masonite about 25 years ago, and it shows no sign of deterioration - maybe some woods release more chemicals than others, and maybe its just that masonite is a manufactured material.) I would think you could laminate a layer of aluminum foil between the print and the wood that would never be seen and that would protect the print from contamination.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try a hobby shop. Or somebody like Lee Valley. Wood that thin can be trimmed fairly easily if it's a little bigger then you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Woodcraft sells various hardwoods in 1/4 and other thicknesses, some of the other places that cater to woodworker also carry small sized lumber. Also check hardwood dealers in your area, you will get much better quality, and probably better prices than you'll find at H.D. too.

Here's an example from Woodcraft's site; http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=681

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Shellac (light or dark) is a good permanent, hard, finish if kept dry. Alcohol is the solvent, easy to work with. I think vitamin pills are coated with it.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bug poop. No really -)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin