Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,232   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

VC Papers and Amidol.

Lately I've been feeling a bug to give amidol a try. I use VC papers, mainly Kentmere VC. Is there any advantage to VC papers and Amidol, or should I just get some graded paper (and find some magic negatives to print on it!) and stick to dektol with the VC?

Thanks,
    John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

VC

Please don't waste your time using amidol with the VC paper..get yourself some nice graded emaks or slavich and let it rip!! do not forget to use a waterbath....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    Please don't waste your time using amidol with the VC paper..get yourself some nice graded emaks or slavich and let it rip!! do not forget to use a waterbath....
    Best, Peter
    Is Amidol really good with EMAKS? What has been your experience with it? I love the paper used with normal developers, but if Amidol makes it even better . . . . .

Please tell us more! Thanks.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Emaks responds really well to amidol. Richer blacks and waterbath control for intermediate grades are real advantages.

I tried Ilford MGIV FB in amidol, and maybe got slightly better blacks, but not enough to justify using amidol. There's less reason to use waterbath processing with VC papers, and there are easier ways of tweaking the contrast for basically the same result.

Kentmere VC will probably respond very differently, so I'd give it a go.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I also occasionally use Amidol, mostly with fixed grade papers. The contrast control with a water bath is a real plus. For VC papers I am a big fan of Ansco 130. I like the results produced by glycin.

Interestingly, a few years back, I hosted a Per Volquartz printing workshop in my DR. We tested several paper developers, including Ansco 130 and Amidol, with a variety of papers, that were available at the time, both VC and fixed, including Azo, (Oh...the good ol' days!).

Quite honestly everyone's favorite two soups were the Ansco 130 and the Amidol. There was virtually no difference in the blacks and a bit of difference in the tonal range, that is until selenium toning. After toning there really was no difference on the VC papers and it was most difficult to see any differences on the fixed grade.

As David said, the vary nature of VC paper lends it to much simpler contrast control methods than water baths, etc. Although Ansco 130 is not an inexpensive soup, it has a long life. I keep replenishing my working stock, so it has developed "personality", perhaps, like a sourdough bread starter.

Amidol is great, when used where needed. When it is the best choice, the cost per tray become less the deciding factor. I bought quite a stock of the Chinese Amidol through Greg Davis, so cost is even less a factor for me.

Have fun. Experiment. Choose the tools that work for you!

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin