Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,865   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    why not process your own B&W film? it is very easy and pennies cheap

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well im not so sure I like shooting film yet. Before April 1st I had never used a film camera that wasnt disposable in my 27 year lifetime. Before xmas 2006 I had never taken pictures that were not for an ebay add or for myspace and the like. I inherited a couple Petri SLRs at the end of March and shot a color roll through one and kind of liked it. Since then Ive bought a half dozen more rolls of B&W stuff not knowing it couldn't be processed in a 1hr joint, and traded a broken lens for an Elan 7E, since i shoot a canon DSLR.

So now its been 9 days and I havent seen any results yet, If the next 3 or 4 rolls come out good and I like it as much or more than my DSLR, Ill look at processing my own. But its a pretty steep investment especially since i dont have a scanner or enlarger so I would need one or both of those to get prints unless dropping negs off at a lab for prints is fast and cost effective.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by randerson07 View Post
    This is promising, since I don't process my own, and may not for some time. Ive seen this stuff at the local Wal-Mart and Walgreen's but was afraid to pick it up. I may have to give it a try, Ive been waiting 9 days now to get back a roll of Tri-X back and it sucks. Dropping off before work and picking up after would be awesome.
    the b/w film is also a good test of your lab. If they can print it without a cast, chances are they're somewhat decent.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    well i don't know if it's fair to judge traditional B&W using C-41 B&W films because those don't look at all like traditional B&W. B&W is an acquired taste with its long dynamic range, S-shaped contrast curves and smooth micro-powdered grain that cannot be acheived using digital, nor even on an inkjet in my opinion. for a sample of what B&W is like, you'll probably have to ask a friend to do it the traditional way, or better yet visit some B&W art galleries (not scanned work but traditional prints).

processing B&W at groceries stores will give you black and white and... green. hehe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well Im not getting it processed at grocery stores. I have 2 rolls out at a Wolf Camera, 1 notch above grocery store LOL. And I recently found a true camera shop 30 miles from my house that i have another roll at. I had a look around the shop and they have for sale all of the materials needed to process my own so ill be asking them about it when I pick up my prints. I also picked up a roll of the Ilford C41 B&W to have a go at. They had all kinds of fun stuff, medium format stuff, TLRs, lots and lots of choices on film, they can do E6(I think thats slide film right?), I spent alot of time just staring at stuff it was nice.

This is turning out to be like every hobby ive ever had, "A dive in head first money pit"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by randerson07 View Post
    This is turning out to be like every hobby ive ever had, "A dive in head first money pit"
    One word ... Ebay

There is a ton of useful stuff going for pennies on Ebay

Graham.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    Processing B&W at groceries stores will give you black and white and... green. hehe.
    Printing B&W at a colourlab, which one-hour services are, will give you green or magenta (depending on correction; to get the green out you have to add magenta and the other way around). I work with an Agfa lab and the paper used is colour and that's where the problem's at. It's impossible getting it absolutely neutral that way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrastique View Post
    Printing B&W at a colourlab, which one-hour services are, will give you green or magenta (depending on correction; to get the green out you have to add magenta and the other way around). I work with an Agfa lab and the paper used is colour and that's where the problem's at. It's impossible getting it absolutely neutral that way.

Something is wrong in either your machine's set up, or your printing if you're unable to get a neutral b/w print. Getting a neutral print may be difficult at first, however it is far from impossible even on older optical printers.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would also like to point out that because these films are based on using dyes, not silver, they are not going to last as long as traditional B/W materials - if that's important to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    Something is wrong in either your machine's set up, or your printing if you're unable to get a neutral b/w print. Getting a neutral print may be difficult at first, however it is far from impossible even on older optical printers.
    I work with a Agfa D-lab 1. I'm not sure what your experience is on this field but with colourpaper you can't get a neutral b&w. It can come close, yes but not 100% b&w like with b&w paper. We worked hard in getting it as close as possible, like for example swopping paper to Kodak which is more white / neutral than the Agfa we used before. Now, when talking Epson 9800, a different story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin